View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 00:57   #6
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Right now I have not decided on exactly what I am looking for when it comes to vlcaks... do I retain the European character that accepts less social behavior which might lead to shyness? Or do I select for more bold personalities to "Americanize" the breed a little as so many of them are likely to end up as family companions?
Well, I think your answer right here is in the breed standard. Regardless of whether it shows up in dogs, shyness in the breed is a disqualifying fault. Therefor, I would think it only natural to breed away from that and towards a more outgoing, stable temperament. Also, for me personally, I feel an aptitude for scent trailing would be a fantastic focus as far as work is concerned. It's something the breed was meant to do, it's something that a more independent working temperament lends itself to (thinking as opposed to blind obedience), and it's a fun activity for both the dog and owner. Honestly, this temperament is what solidified the breed as the one for me, even though their unique appearance is what lead me to look them up in the first place.