View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 05:03   #25
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I didn't speak of Lithuania (or any country, or breeder) in a negative reference. In fact, my first dog was sent to me - blindly - and I would hardly say it was a negative experience. The vast majority aren't negative experiences, and the new owners love their dog for the rest of it's life. I only meant that should a time come that a dog does need to be rehomed, it is very difficult to fix the problem as a breeder across an ocean. I have helped in two situations so far - one in the US, one in Canada. In one case, the breeder was able to arrange for the young dog/puppy to return to Europe. In the other case, I worked with the breeder to find a suitable home (with someone who already owned a CSV) in another state. I know of another case, many years ago, in which a lady (from the Czech Rep., married to an American man) imported a CSV, from a respected kennel, and nice breeding in CZ, and soon determined the young female was "too wolflike" for her family once she had small children. She had spent, as I understand, a lot of time in Europe around the breed. This dog was not so fortunate...I think it was forced across the rainbow bridge.

My point is, breeders must make a careful decision about how far is too far to rescue a dog if it needs help. They also need to think about how they will accomplish this, especially if they become on bad terms with the new owner. I think mistakes can be made to sell a puppy, regardless of distance, what country the person is from, whether someone meets, or maybe even "knows" the new owner - or maybe even a death of the owner, or accident, or other such things. A good breeder should be willing to travel to help and take back the dog. Maybe a trip to Spain, or even Israel, or the UK, or who knows is possible to rescue a dog. But it becomes even more difficult across an ocean. It was my only point.