View Single Post
Old 26-01-2004, 15:02   #13
Wolfsirius

Very intersting subject. I just wrote long long reply, and my computer missed it, so i start again.

We have momentally at home 4 import Ceskoslovensky's, 2 import Saarloos, 2 import Spinonis
and two "Fin made" dogs (German Shepherd and Fila Brasileiro)
+ FIN made Ceskoslovensky puppies

To breed a dogs is easy, to breed good or excellent dogs is not so easy anymore, and to breed and find good homes for a wolfdog is sometimes impossible, example here in Finland.
I think dog price is not the main thing if you want dog, even for me it isn't. I know, for some people it is. But never should be.
To take care of dog is not free. And livin costs in different countries are very different. Nearest example for us is Russia,or Estonia.
Both very much cheaper than Finland, and both so near that we can go there in two hours.
I spoke now about Finland, for an example. You have to pay taxes from every dog you own every year and you get nothing for that. Your dog must be leashed, well trained, quet and clean all the time. If any troubles come out, it's immediatelly in newspapers and soon hole breed can be illegal,cause of some unresponsible owners/breeders. As an wolfdog breeder i never wanna that happen, and i really try to find good enough homes for puppies leave from us. If i don't, puppies stay by us longer. That is a fact.
Vet cost, show entrees, dog food, meat, all very expensive here. Distances are also very long here, and average show trip is 500 kilometers. Gasolin, cars and taxes which you to pay to own a car is very expensive too. Heating costs for you, or for your kennel houses are amazing, and you have to keep heating on here at least half a year, more cold, more dogfood which your dog use. Dogs need more energy in cold weather. Simple, but expensive.

I guess, average dog price in Finland is 900 Eur, example all "toydogs" costs 1000-1200Eur no matter are they rare or not.
Of course more rare more price.
Cats with pedigree cost here from 600 to 1500 Eur, yes, cats. German shepherds costs 800Eur, and registered every year about 2500 piece.
My wolfdog puppies costs 1300-1500Eur depence on breed and a little bit pedigree,show results and so on. I guess, that is not much. Not much from a breed we have here momentally 14+ 8 puppy (saarloos 10 piece, first saarloos litter, puppyprice over 2000Eur )
Not much from a breed which can easily live 14 years and everyone who have wolfdog knows what kind of costs it can made within it's life.
Not much, as you get a puppy with pedigree, microchip, veterinary healthy certificate, over 100 pages feeding, training and how to take care instructions with life long support. Is it? I guess no.

For me a price of puppy is not decisive, then what is? BREEDERS KNOWLEDGE and interesting for the breed, pedigrees, healthy parents and how breeder take care of own dogs and puppies. For me, 1500Eur from a dog is average price, i could pay also more, if i really want a dog. And i had pay, many times. Not just for a dog directly, but with import costs, yes. I am not a millionaire, i work with normal cellary (average)
8 hours daily, and as an hobby, i breed wolfdogs. I don't see any sense to compare dogprices between different countries, cause my opinion still is, that it all depence what you get. And if wanna compare prices of dogs, have to compare everything else too then.

Price of puppy in England is high, but i understund it well. Livin costs in England is very high too, and litter is first.
Breeders in england i don't know, but i believe they are good responsible breeders.
If somebody wanted a puppy from me to England, i can say, that with all costs which will come out (as Ina said already) , it's not much cheaper than puppies in England now. Of course, it's new blood then and worth of it, but every people don't wanna breed, and don't need different bloodlines then.

One example still, i could buy a Fila brasileiro from russia in 300Eur, but i didn't. I buy it from Finland, and pay 1500Eur. And i never regret that. Why? I know what i get, i get a dog from responsible breeder who really is interesting on it's breed and i get also life long support.
He breed Filas for a very deep love in that breed, not for a money.

I hope you all understund which kind of breed you have in your hands, i really wish cooperation more, and i wish you all breed your dogs as an hobby, deep love in this breed, not for a money. Then it's worth of it, cause we all know, what you left behind, you find in front, sooner or later, and these kind of breeds really need responsible owners and even more responsible breeders. We have at home momentally 6 Ceskoslovensky puppies age of 7 weeks, still without home, cause i haven't find good enough yet. I hope i find soon, but also know, i'll keep it longer, if i don't.

I wish all the best for everyone, especially for English litter and breeders, i know how hard it sometimes can be with these dogs,
to breed it, try to find good homes.

Greetings from cold (expensive) Finland; Suski, Kennel WolfSirius

(this wasn't so good as my first missed reply, but i hope you understund me still...)
Wolfsirius jest offline   Reply With Quote