Thread: Penn Hip method
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 19:11   #10
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
As a breeder, I'd really like to have the most reliable results - taken at the most reliable age - to have the best chance to produce healthy results in litters - even if it means waiting 2-3 years to breed.

Marcy
Even though I'm years away from being in your position, this is exactly how I feel on the subject. I never understood what the big hurry was with breeding dogs at a young age when the goal is to produce the most sound animals possible (this is with ALL dog breeding, not just the CsV). When it can take 3-4 years for a dog to properly fill out and develop, why would anyone want to breed dogs before they know exactly what they are going to get? Not to mention the strain it puts on a young dam. I personally don't trust any hip results prior to 24 months, and would be more apt to trust scores done even a year past that. I also wouldn't breed a dog younger than 3 years of age, especially when it comes to dogs where working ability and structure should be so influential to breeding. I also put more stock in confirmation titles won at a little bit of an older age than a dog who finishes early. Yes, the dog might be a prime example of the breed as an adolescent, but there's no telling what the dog will fill out to look like! I know I don't have the most common beliefs on breeding, but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Also, thanks, Marcy, for all the Penn Hip info! I was only ever aware of OFA, so it's great to know there's a second option out there. It would probably be most beneficial for breeders in the US to do like you've done, and get scores through both groups since there are obviously discrepancies and the human factor you've pointed out.