View Single Post
Old 20-12-2011, 16:50   #5
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

I thought always that the example shown with the black and red marbles would be right. But I know to many litters of F 1, F 2 animals - csw too -, where only 1-2 out of 6 to 8 pups are doggie like in behaviour and the rest is more wolfy. So far I remember the same happend to Karel Hartl, that he could go on only with selecting and breeding with a few pups but not all out of one litter. So it is more the point of behavioural selection - and of course the looks of the pup. If the marble explanation would be true, there would be more "dogs" in F 1- F 3 generations.

So how you can find out if more wolf or more dog is a canine? From my point of view it is a matter of watching the behaviour in absolutely first place. And then of course the look. But if you work well with your "wolf", genes will change. But of course it will not change the behaviour of that animal, but when this particular animal will have pups, there will be changed genes given to the pups. But it is the harder and longer way to select.

Socialization the pups is not the point to make a dog out of a wolfy wolfdog. I did it with 3 of my high content pups. I socialized them all three the absolut same way. But there was from the begining only one dog - and I could not change anything in the two others - a bit maybe but not in the way how we understand socialization.

Christian

Last edited by hanninadina; 20-12-2011 at 16:52.
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote