View Single Post
Old 13-12-2012, 07:29   #4
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerstripe40 View Post
Zaz came from Galomy Oaks.

He's not very good about listening to commands when he doesn't want to (especially when you don't have a treat in your hand). I suppose that when hes in the house with the cat at the same time, I should keep some treats in my pocket so that if there IS an altercation, I holler 'leave it!' and pull out a treat?
you could try with increasingly exciting and distracting situations, but I wouldn't expect him to go from say, 2 (sitting in parking lot with people walking around) to 90 (stop mid way chasing a running fuzzy) without levels in the middle..

Also, if you're addressing SPECIFIC behaviors, it's also not a bad time to issue corrections..

but if he is really, really food driven, you could also try the 'pay attention to me (and not the cat/distraction) game......(and in time increase the attention paying part from like 1 second to a few minutes to...)

in terms of management and training, you could use a light drag line around the house, so to back up the leave its and so (to enforce they get done) until it's reliable. but again, it depends on the excitement level the dog shows.. if he's TRULY aggressive to the cat, which by the way, doesn't seem so, since a one year old Vlcak could easily kill one.. of course it would not be very effective..

my male (now a little over two) now can do 'leave its' to cats we see while walking, but if i don't 'warn' him to leave it, he will still bolt after them..

Last edited by yukidomari; 13-12-2012 at 07:40.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote