View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 23:25   #1
draggar

Question Pollux the.. guard dog???

I came home today and it was later than usual so it was darker in the entry way plus the AC was on so the wind was blowing towards the door (well more like from the ceiling vent out towards the door and out towards the living room area).

This means, from a dog with a sensitive nose's point of view, I'm downwind with no scent.

I walk in and give the old "it's been a very long day" half sigh / half grunt and much to my surprise Pollux comes running to the door, barking as if he was protecting the house! He even got to the point that he got Kiri going (but she quickly cooled down when she saw it was me). It took Pollux a few more seconds (until he could smell me and realize who I am) to realize I was me and then started acting all like a puppy fool (like he normally does). (I guess the breed trusts their nose far more than their eyes then other breeds?)

This was definitely a first, in the past he's barked (well, more like woofed) at strangers running towards him (or towards his general direction but never went towards them, usually either stood still or backed off a little - this time he trotted towards me as if he was saying "this is MY house!"

It's great to see him really coming out of his shell and the *real* Pollux start to emerge!!

(Disclaimer / note: Yes, I know, protectiveness is something that needs to be watched and focused properly, don't worry, we will do that).

Last edited by draggar; 09-06-2011 at 23:27.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote