View Single Post
Old 24-02-2010, 13:09   #29
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
Hi Ina, this got a bit off-topic but very interesting, as I considered spaying my bitch if she would not be used for breeding. This is of course not relevan now, but I would like to know if you consider for example false pregnancies as a good reason to spay a bitch. It seems to me, from the behavioral point of view, to be quite distressing to the bitch to go through it every heat, but maybe I am wrong. I don't mean the severe cases, where the bitch starts producing milk, but just a mild one, where she starts being really ravenous and doesn't enjoy walks and generally behaves as if she was pregnant.
False pregnancy is a medical reason to spay. Behaviour like the one you describe already is a not mild case but might be discussed as a reason.

The results of the study:
Reasons to castrate a bitch:
  • acute ghynological problems, Diabetes mellitus etc.
  • returning, strong false pregnancies with strong suffering of the bitch
  • extreme aggressiv behaviour during heat and false pregnancy
  • bitches that smell attractive for males during the whole year and suffer.
not so good reasons:

• the wish of changing of aggressiv behaviour that is not only during heat or false pregnancy. In all other cases it is very likely the aggression-problem increases, it is a contraindikation'!

• if you want the bitch to get more quiet or active, the result is not to be foreseen. It can be the opposite of the wished behaviour.

• prophylactive against mammaltumors: The number of mammaltumors doesn´t justify the health risk of castration. A relevant decrease in cases is only seen in castrations before the first heat, which includes to much risks in itself. (only around 0,2 - 1,8% of all bitches will get a mammatumor in her life and the main part will be benigne)

• the owner doesn´t want the troubles of heat (exception the bitch lives together with uncastrated males), this would be illegal in Germany.

• The castration is seen to be the only way of unwished pregnancy (exception a "intact" male in the household; in this case it should be thought about castration of the male)
health changes in bitches caused by castration:

different structure of fur: 49 %
increase in weight: 44 %
increased appetite: 40 %
bladder incontinence: 28 % (differences in breeds)
changes in scelettal growth: 4%

in males:
increase of weight: 47 %
increase of appetite: 46 %
disappearing of preputial inflammation: 45 %
changes in fur-quality: 32 %
bladder incontinence: 9 %
changes in scelettal growth: 3%

castrated bitches have a higher risk of :
adipositas (2x)
Heart tumors (8x)

acute fatal Pancreatitis (8x)
bladder incontinence (8x)
Haemangioma
thyreoideal cancer
Hyperthyreosis (I think this is a mistake in my literature it should be Hypothyreosis)
Ulcera of kidney an bladder

chronical Keratitis
decrease of muscle and soft tissue
risk of death during surgery

in males:

Adipositas (2x)
prostata cancer
ulcera of kidney or bladder
Diabetes mell.
Hyperthyreosis
death during surgery

There are also great benefits on the other side but these normally are well known.
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote