Thread: Elbow Dysplasia
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 19:27   #49
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Maybe, if I quote and paste what is wrote on OFFA they will have no more excuse to say " no it isn't, my vet say or my vet told or I saw it in a pallestry for breeder".

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFA
There are many factors to consider when evaluating the progress of countries that permit breeding Grade I elbows. There may indeed be reasons to consider using Grade I elbows in breeding programs for the purpose of maintaining a broader gene pool, especially in countries where the breed specific rate of ED is approximately 25% or higher (as appears to be the case in some European countries). One must balance the potential consequences as they pertain both to the entire gene pool, and to elbow disease as a part of the gene pool. With a lower rate of ED in many breeds in the U.S., the genetic pressures to include Grade I ED's in most US breeding programs may not be the same as in other countries. Below are two sets of data which may help provide a basis for making a more informed decision whether to breed a dog affected with Grade I ED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offa
The OFA’s distinction between normal and abnormal elbows is actually more clearly defined than are the differences between fair and borderline hips. Elbows are diagnosed as dysplastic when evidence of Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) is present as evidenced by osteophytes or sclerosis. It is not a gradual continuum from normal to abnormal, in which minor differences might be interpreted as normal by one reader and abnormal by another. The degree of DJD present is the determining factor in the grade of dysplasia.
The term “degenerative joint disease” is often misunderstood and misinterpreted. “Degenerative” is defined as some distinct change from a normal state to a diseased state. It does not imply a continuing process in which the disease will progress and worsen continuously over time, and it is incorrect to assume that a dog with Grade I ED will eventually develop Grade II or III ED.
It is also important to understand that DJD is a finding which aids in the diagnosis of elbow dysplasia, but the DJD itself is the secondary result of one or more of three distinct etiologies that make up the generalized description of elbow dysplasia. These are united anconeal process (UAP), fragmented coronoid process (FCP), and osteochondrosis (OCD) which may appear singularly or in combination.
And princially, different of HD that I can avoid completly with correct suplement EVEN IN A DOGS GENETICALLY AFFECTED, in ED it didn't happen.

As I told before and as now you all can read by OFFA, the metod of judge HD is completly different of the metod which judge ED, those ills are different, the part is tooks works different and are different, its simply impossible to even compare the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFA
have all concluded that the heritability of ED (defined as UAP, FCP, or OCD) is moderate to high. This means that breeding selections can have a significant impact on the rate of ED in a breed.
And again here, we talk about the huge hereditability of this ill.

Who still have doubts, its only took what I wrote before and put togheter with what is wroted here, and i'm sure, will have no more doubts.

As we have at moment few cases of ED problems in the breed, as those dogs mainly don't comes from "rare" lines, not have why preserve ED in breeding spreading the problem in a breed that have a small genetic pool.

So far ED knowledge seems to be new for CzW breeders, as its not tested in some other breeds ( which didn't means they're not affected).
If we took out all dogs without results, the stud dog list will be really small as some dogs are already too old to receive another anesthesie for make this exam (as wolfdogs are not such easy with anesthetics), so, the best way would be put a borderline between the dogs that need to be checked for enter in the database, dogs born in 2007 half/end will have their hips and elbows checked in this year, the ones who born before it probably already had make the check, so, the best will be dogs born in 2008 foward only be accepted in stud list with ED results, and the others remain even without it.