Thread: PRA test
View Single Post
Old 13-04-2011, 15:08   #3
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands View Post
Can someone tell me what the PRA test involves as I have seen it mentioned many times. When we had Shadow DM, MH and PD tested I noticed there was a PRA test on the form, so I marked it to be done only for Laboklin to tell me the test was not valid for CsV's.

Many thanks
From a topic on the Polish forum I've concluded there are two types of tests.

One is testing dog's genetic predisposition for PRA (blood sample is needed and the cost is higher).

The other checks if the dog suffers from PRA + many other eye diseases at the moment of being tested. It's quick and easy for the dog and costs around 25 Euro in Poland (depending if with official certificate or without), but the result is oficially valid only one year.

Since CSVs rarely suffer from eye diseases there is no need to repeat it every year or before each matching, as in the case of other breeds where PRA is a serious genetic problem.

There are just a few vets in PL who issue the official certificates. Thus local kennel clubs offer such testing opportunities usually once or twice a year at their own premises or try to match it with bigger dog shows.

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote