View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37   #31
Gypsy Wolf

Excellent post Marcy - very true. I have a similarly-worded contract for the few German Shepherd pups I have produced, and luckily, most of them have been placed locally, where I can do home visits and offer training support in person, as needed.
I also always co-own at least one pup out of each litter. This affords a much closer breeder-puppy owner relationship, I think.
From what I have see in the past with many years in the dog world - often a contract is only as good as the paper it's printed on. Your best bet is getting to know your buyers.
And another point you brought up is what is "acceptable" when it comes to a home environment? I do not sell to anyone who will not have the dog live in their home. No kennels, no "breeders" - aside from the co-owned pups, my pups are sold on spay/neuter contracts under Limited Registration (as an aside, there is now a loophole that allows buyers to appeal to AKC and get Full Registration instated if they have a LR pup - without the breeder even being informed - this is so AKC can register more puppies, doncha know!). Of course, with a large breed like a GSD, I do not suggest the pups be altered until they are at least 18 months old, to ensure proper development, which, if they are in the wrong hands, can pose a potential "oops" litter problem. I can only hope I was correct in evaluating the people who have since welcomed my pups into their homes...
And sometimes a potential owner looks good, seems to have a proven record but then disappoints us... I know a situation just like that...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote