View Single Post
Old 26-07-2010, 07:37   #11
Gypsy Wolf

Yes, the above picture is of Pollux and Luna. In Malinois, I see similar coat length differences. The "plush" dogs tend to produce Tervuren in their litters from time to time.
Luna was born in the United States and has been with me from 8 weeks old, Pollux arrived here from Hungary at about 9 weeks old. We live in Florida - SOUTH Florida and it's summer, so it is hot.
Neither has shed out any coat - both just seem to have continued to carry the coat that they had from puppyhood, though Luna's has gotten plusher.
I don't see anywhere in the standards for the breed about specific coat length. I also see that Pollux's coat is very similar to actual wolf pups the same age.
I am also curious to see how their coats develop living here in Florida, where it is ALWAYS summer! My other dogs have normal coats for their breed, just not as dense and thick in the winter, though I have traveled from my home here in FL to cold winter places and they have never needed any sort of "blanket" to keep them warm.
In the show ring, it seems the judges prefer plusher coats in Malinois and German Shepherd Dogs, but the "close" coat is not "wrong"... why is it not good in a vlcak?
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote