View Single Post
Old 15-01-2011, 19:52   #68
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

I have heard through the grapevine that when the AKC chooses to recognize a breed (move it from FSS to Misc.) the official American breed club it selects is not allowed to make rules regarding which dogs be registered - the AKC will always register any dog with correct papers. This also means that the parent club cannot stipulate what health tests must be done either. This is why every single breed club has a Code of Ethics that merely 'suggest' which tests be done, but can NEVER use the lack of said testing as a condition of registration.

The AKC has been known to pass over parent clubs with strict mandatory rules (see Leonberger, Cav King Charles Spaniel) and pick some fraction club that doesn't, as the Nationally recognized club. Once the AKC recognizes a national club, it stops accepting pedigrees/registrations from other clubs. So it leaves all the other clubs with more stringent rules between the choice to forever remain unrecognized and unable to have pedigrees, or to join up with a club with lax rules.

I had thought for a long time that such rules regarding health testing were the responsibility of the breed club, and that the AKC was merely just the record holder/guarantor. So many times you hear the argument "it's not the AKC, it's the national breed club's responsibility to enforce Code of Ethics"...

It's increasingly clear that this is not so, that the AKC personally picks and chooses breed clubs that suit its agenda, and the AKC's agenda is clearly only for growing numbers and to build popularity, even at the cost of health.

For these reasons and more I am now against AKC recognition of this
breed and will not personally be registering all and any future CsVs I will be importing with the FSS.

Last edited by yukidomari; 15-01-2011 at 20:19.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote