View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 20:37   #4
draggar

Hey Hanka - in the USA the word "wolfdog" has a very bad reputation - people will think "wolf hybrid" if they hear wolfdog plus many towns and cities will ban the dog solely on the name. We're trying to eliminate a problem and a bad reputation before it even starts. There is a rather negative resentment towards wolf-hybrids here in the USA (outside of the wolfdog and hybrid communities).

As for vlcak vs. vlčák - at least 99.999% of Americans won't even think about the č and á letters so Vlcak is an "Americanized" version of the name. Last I checked, it translated to "alsatian", also (are my translations wrong?).

Personally I would love československý vlčák but no one would type that in, look for it, or maybe even take us seriously.

As for vlcak being a "bad word" - we have a popular toothpaste here called "Colgate". Yet in Spanish, colgaté literally means "go hang yourself" (like telling someone very rudely to go away). Bad words (and gestures) in one culture can have a completely different meaning in another. Besides, I'm training people to pronounce it correctly, "VL-chuck" (yes, I'm trying to learn Czech - but the Art of War got in between that book and myself).
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote