Thread: ED - new rules
View Single Post
Old 13-07-2010, 07:51   #14
Gypsy Wolf

Though I think the decision is, in theory, an honorable one, hip dysplasia is a MULTI-FACTORIAL "illness" not simply genetic!
A dog that has excellent genetics could be raised with poor nutrition or in a poor environment (such as growing up in a small concrete kennel), or suffer a traumatic injury and develop disease symptoms. And then we are arbitrarily removing those genetics - that may be GOOD, and at the very least, maintain a diverse gene pool in a breed that already has a small gene pool!
We are likely "breeding ourselves into a corner" with such a decision.
I do not think we have enough information on the myriad genetics as well as outside influences that cause joint problems to remove so many dogs from our gene pool...
Truly, I would prefer that geneticists and veterinarians consult on such a decision... even speaking with Dr. Clemmons, here in FL, regarding the Degenerative Myelopathy test (which they developed), you do not necessarily want to remove the "Abnormal/Abnormal" dogs from your breeding program, if they have other traits that SHOULD be kept in the breed. "You don't want to throw away the baby with the bathwater" is what he told me. The test is there to make EDUCATED breeding decisions, that, in theory, can preserve the GOOD genetics and remove the bad ones through knowledge and selection.
I foresee us bottlenecking genetically and losing some really good traits if we concentrate on just joint issues... great idea to have good hips, but are we sacrificing type and more importantly, temperament and working ability?
I am certainly not promoting breeding dogs with bad hips as a regular thing, but think about this - you produce a pup that is genetically sound, joint-wise for generations, but he is injured as an adolescent... he has super working drive, solid character, perfect conformation - floating gait, you name it - your perfect pup... you x-ray him at 18 months, and that left hip is considered dysplastic from that injury he sustained as a youngster... what would you do? Or perhaps he was a pup that you sold and was returned back to you and is just AMAZING... but he was reared in a crate eating crap, so you x-ray him... get my drift?
Do we really have enough great vlcaks in the world to do that?
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote