Wolfdog.org forum

Wolfdog.org forum (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/index.php)
-   Health and nutrition (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Minerals required for a puppy (http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21983)

Andrei 17-03-2012 14:35

Minerals required for a puppy

Hi! I have a 22 weeks old puppy and I am not sure what are the ammount of minerals/day.I gave him 4 tablets of "Pet Phos Croissance Ca/P" till now and he is doing fine, but I followed the advice of a doctor that is a bit uncertain as a pro so I would like your opinions on this matter.The dog is great, wonderful, playfull, but some advices and suggestions are kindly welcome.Thank you in advance.

tupacs2legs 17-03-2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrei (Bericht 426160)
Hi! I have a 22 weeks old puppy and I am not sure what are the ammount of minerals/day.I gave him 4 tablets of "Pet Phos Croissance Ca/P" till now and he is doing fine, but I followed the advice of a doctor that is a bit uncertain as a pro so I would like your opinions on this matter.The dog is great, wonderful, playfull, but some advices and suggestions are kindly welcome.Thank you in advance.

hi :)

why are you giving extra supplements? if your puppy is on a good balanced diet there is no need to add anything :?.. sometimes it can do more harm than good,

what do you feed your puppy?

Andrei 17-03-2012 14:53

K

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacs2legs (Bericht 426161)
hi :)

why are you giving extra supplements? if your puppy is on a good balanced diet there is no need to add anything :?.. sometimes it can do more harm than good,

what do you feed your puppy?

On my kindly breeder suggestion, only raw meat with bones from chicken(about 950gr/day).I was assured by my breeder that this diet works great for this dogs, yet everyone else don't agree this teory.Other then raw chicken meat I give him 100-150 gr. of dried industrial food, as treats.Until 2 months ago the puppy got chicken and purina dry food in equal parts.

tupacs2legs 17-03-2012 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrei (Bericht 426162)
On my kindly breeder suggestion, only raw meat with bones from chicken(about 950gr/day).I was assured by my breeder that this diet works great for this dogs, yet everyone else don't agree this teory.Other then raw chicken meat I give him 100-150 gr. of dried industrial food, as treats.Until 2 months ago the puppy got chicken and purina dry food in equal parts.

raw chicken only is not the way to feed a raw diet :(

maybe you could research a raw diet more, and until you are confident you know what is balanced feed a good quality dry food ,which you should not need or want to add supplements to.

yukidomari 17-03-2012 17:10

Chicken alone is not a balanced raw diet. Especially so if you're not feeding whole chickens inclusive of organs but only like chicken quarters. On average chicken is 30% bone content which is already too much for long term feeding esp to puppies. It's also lacking in most minerals including copper and iron. if you won't be supplementing with vegetables, red meat is a necessity as well as secreting organs..

Better to do a more thorough read on feeding a raw diet, a wrongly balanced one is worse than just feeding kibble.

What about a better quality kibble? Most kibble already has border line high Ca/P amounts. Feeding too much Ca/P causes rapid bone growth lacking in density according to large studies.

Andrei 17-03-2012 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacs2legs (Bericht 426172)
raw chicken only is not the way to feed a raw diet :(

maybe you could research a raw diet more, and until you are confident you know what is balanced feed a good quality dry food ,which you should not need or want to add supplements to.

I have no idea how or where to search for a raw diet on czech wolfs other than this place alone.It would help a lot if you and other czech owners would share their dog's diets when they were/are puppies.I had a word with my breeder and again I was assured that raw chicken or beef is perfect for this dogs and calcium supplments are necesary as puppies.This is the advice of a very respectable breeder in Romania, had no health problem with my puppy yet, but I would love to hear others czech owners opinion.I'm hear to learn, share and listen.Cheers.

jefta 17-03-2012 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrei (Bericht 426160)

Never give Ca/P supplements without test their proportion in blood!!! If you feed bones extra Ca is not recommended because raw diet is rich in Ca.
You can give him supplements for joints: glucosamine, MSM, chondroityne and HA :)

michaelundinaeichhorn 17-03-2012 18:50

And as canines donĀ“t only eat meet you should at least add some green rumen.

avgrunn 17-03-2012 19:38

My Urobach is 14 months old, as for now he eats dry food (good one with supplements for joints) with vegetables, mostly carrots, and a litte bit of meat (we are thinking about switching to raw food only when he is fully grown) From time to time he gets a veal bone.
When he was a puppy he had almost the same diet as now, though the dry food had different ingredients so we had to give him those supplements that jefta was writing about.
The truth is that Urobach had and has the same diet as our other dogs of different breeds. They have the same dry food, they eat bones and vegetables and meat, their diet is just diverse.

buidelwolf 22-03-2012 08:00

Hello Andrei,

Two years ago, there happened to be a topic on what to feed your dog and whether or not to use supplements > click here.

I myself am convinced from a health point of view of feeding raw, but make it as complete as possible ( so not only chicken necks).

Andrei 24-03-2012 14:27

Thank you so much for your feedback.It is very important for me to hear other czech owners opinion in order to decide and to understand what is best for my puppy.I trust my breeder advice, but I'm wide open to the knowledge and experience acumulated and shared here by you.Thank you so much.

yukidomari 24-03-2012 19:40

I don't think any Czech owners have replied here! ;-)