Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > _Administration

_Administration Questions connected with Wolfdog.org, database and other technical matters....

Old 05-02-2005, 21:33   #1
Margo

Send a message via Skype™ to Margo Send Message via Gadu Gadu to Margo
Default Database - access levels

We thought about conversion of the database for a longer time. First we wanted to order the information and second we tried to protect the user data more that before. Last days there was a try to still the data (only partially successful) so it was the best impulse to act....

So from now there are different levels of access to the database.
==========================

Everyone can check his own access level in the database, for example here:
http://www.wolfdog.org/eng/dbase/
In the bottom of the pages you can find:
"[ Your access level: Guest | Anonymous user | Verified user | Breeder | Admin ]"
Greenmarked is your access level...

Now more about each level:

1) Guest
For people which are not registered (or not logged in). In the database they see almost nothing - mainly the info "Register for free"... And they can see only 20 pages in the database per day.

2) Anonymous user
It is for people which logged in but didn't give a name or additional information. Such people can write on forum. In the database they can see info about dogs as: name, born date, name of the owner (without the address), name of the breeder (with the address), shows and training results, 4-generation pedigree and photos. They can see only 40 pages in the database per day.

3) Verified user
It is an level for all users which are "verified" - it means which are "real" and not a virtual personality... )) They have all the information which is useful for them. They do not see registration numbers, tattoo numbers (it means all this not interesting data which was there before) and they can't see addresses of CzW owners which do not agree to publish their addresses in the database.

4) Breeder / Admin
Both levels can see the same parts of the database. In comparison to a 'Verified user' a breeder can see registration numbers, tattoos and some special overviews. In the future we plan to add new options for them.

How it works: a Guest which will fill out the registration form will get the level "Anonymous user". If he/she is already registered in the database as CzW owner he/she will get "automatically" the next level - 'Verified user'. Other persons we will be verified on the Webmasters list every week (I will send all the data and you can choose persons you know and we will give them access).
The "Breeder"-level is prepared for all breeders registered in our database which "cooperate" and help to collect data. So every breeder who is sending us information about litters will get it "automatically". Breeders which do not help to make the database will also not have access to it (they can use the database as "Verified users"). I think it is fair....

But it is not the only modification. There are cases where people do not want that their addresses published (or addresses of their puppy owners). But we still need info about them (mostly for statistics but sometimes it was helpful when we had info about CzWs in animal shelters so the additional data helps us to identify the dog and inform the owner).

So now there are also three levels of security.

1) Addresses of breeders
They are public persons and also their addresses are visible to all there levels: Anonymous user, Verified user and Breeder.

2) Owners who agree with publication of their address
There are people who want that their addresses published in case that someone want to get in touch with them. In this case their addresses are visible to two levels: Verified user and Breeder.

3) Owners who don't agree to publish their address (it applies also to addresses of puppy owners sent by the breeders)
In this case only the names are visible - the rest is hidden and is invisible to all levels. We collect it in the database for special cases but such people will be not disturb by anyone. It is also solution for countries that have laws that forbid the publishing of such data....

If you have any questions - just ask.....

The customs of your tribe are not laws of nature - George Bernard Shaw
Margo jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 13:18   #2
massimo

Send a message via ICQ to massimo Send a message via MSN to massimo

Very interesting Margo,
your site is getting better all the time!!
And considered one of the best canine internet sites existing (no-one has so many dogs in their database).
question:

"The "Breeder"-level is prepared for all breeders registered in our database which "cooperate" and help to collect data."
Some users, verified users, collaborate a lot with the site sending a lot of info and photos, even more than the breeders themselves.
Have you ever thought of giving them a "special" access at "breeder" level?

Also:have you ever thought of giving users, verified or breeders, to modify the photo's in the database? some people just send photos of dogs, bad and ugly photos which the owner maybe doesn't like. Some are even photo's of wrong dogs!
Maybe you would have less work if you allowed a certain "kind" of users chosen by you to modify the photo's in their own photo gallery .
I would appreciate to have this possibility!

Endly: as already told you once, I would be interested to publish on my dog's database page a link to the photos of my HD certificate and xrays, as I sent to you.
I think this would be very interesting.

Ah, I allow you to publish my personal details.

Ciao
Massimo
Old 10-04-2005, 15:15   #3
Margo

Send a message via Skype™ to Margo Send Message via Gadu Gadu to Margo

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo
Some users, verified users, collaborate a lot with the site sending a lot of info and photos, even more than the breeders themselves.
Have you ever thought of giving them a "special" access at "breeder" level?
All of them have also access like breeders....

Quote:
Also:have you ever thought of giving users, verified or breeders, to modify the photo's in the database? some people just send photos of dogs, bad and ugly photos which the owner maybe doesn't like. Some are even photo's of wrong dogs!
There is no technical possiblity to do it so the only solution is the write us and send us the photos which should appear in the database. The main problem is we use only "show position photos" - so you can see the whole body and not only front or the head. Sure we use also other photos but only in cases if it the the only photo of the dog which we have here...

Quote:
Endly: as already told you once, I would be interested to publish on my dog's database page a link to the photos of my HD certificate and xrays, as I sent to you.
I think this would be very interesting.
So far we only think about it because only few people have the xrays of their own dogs.....

The customs of your tribe are not laws of nature - George Bernard Shaw
Margo jest offline   Reply With Quote