Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 30-04-2010, 20:08   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default Worried about pup development & shipping

Hi all,
I have a girlfriend who is bringing in a vlcak pup this coming week. He was supposed to come in last week, but due to the volcanic cloud suspending flights, he is not coming until this week. The problem is this: my girlfriend (who is a professional dog trainer) feels strongly that the earlier you get a pup the better - she likes getting them at 7 weeks. By law, the pup could not be shipped until 8 weeks old, and she was OK with that. However, now the pup will be going on 9 weeks old and she is convinced he will be "ruined"...
It's the middle of the "fear period" and she thinks the trip will be traumatic enough to cause lifetime neurosis.
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of scenario? Is 9 weeks a serious developmental time for a vlcak? Is the breed, in general, strong enough to overcome flight trauma? No dog is perfect, I just don't want the pup to be ruined, either!
Look forward to hearing from you!
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote