Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 03-05-2012, 10:09   #21
rogue_cris

Send a message via Yahoo to rogue_cris Send a message via Skype™ to rogue_cris

And yes, this mouthing is a genetic trait. They do the same when playing and that's why small dogs are super-annoyed by Drogo. )
rogue_cris jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19   #22
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_cris View Post
I did the same (sort of) with Drogo. When he was a bit younger, he ALWAYS bit our clothes when we arrived home and he did the same thing with strangers when they tried to pet him.
When returning from walks puppy Lorka used to do jump on us, bite and tear our clothes in the middle of the street to tell us she didn't want to go home yet. Luckily, we found fast and effective method of dealing with that.

Most vlcaks grow out of their silly behaviour, just like human kids do from theirs, but considering the size of their teeth it's btter to help CSVs drop such "affective habits" as soon as possible

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:28   #23
rogue_cris

Send a message via Yahoo to rogue_cris Send a message via Skype™ to rogue_cris

I heard they become much much calmer after 2 years of age. I already notice a huge improvement in Drogo as each week passes. When he was 2 months of age, he was like a little fluffy tasmanian devil but now, after only 3 months, he is a heck lot calmer, doesn't bite only when he really wants to play and he is actually very moderate energy-wise. To my surprise, a lot of dog-owners noticed how well-balanced he is for his age. Also, they were fascinated by the fact that he doesn't leave our side when he is off-leash.
rogue_cris jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39   #24
André

She quit bitting on us around 10 months and with the first heat she calmed down a lot - even with strangers. Now she rarely bites or jumps on us, even when we arrive home, but the first 3 minutes with a stranger it's still a crazy time. The problem is: with most of the strangers she has less than 3 minutes
André jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47   #25
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

They go through little phases - some owners have more luck with the intensity of these phases. Usually at about 7-8 months, my little obedient puppies give me a look of..."Oh, you really cannot reach me or catch up with me if run from you..." and then I know adolescence has arrived. Same thing can happen with their reaction to other dogs, new stimuli, etc. It can be a little surprising when these changes appear. Having a good relationship, patience, thoughtfulness and some basic obedience is key to managing phases - they become settled by 2-3 years. It's for this reason I don't like to breed until a little later - to see what the "real" adult dog is like. Like I said though, some puppies give their owners much less "hassle" than others.