Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 22-10-2005, 18:57   #1
dolev

Default ways of training CZWs

Hey everyone,
For getting ways to improve Nikita's training and for enriching the knowledge about CZWs training I would like to know few facts:
each one of you is asked to write about his dog \ dogs

1) age of your dog
2) kinds of rewards and "punishments".
3) type of training collar (prongs, choker etc.)
4) do you work with a professional dog trainer ?
5) what's the training level of your dog ? how it reacts to your commands ?
dolev jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2005, 19:19   #2
dolev

I'll be the first.

1) Allmost 2 years (22 months)
2) Rewards during training : pieces of cheese or pastrami (not allways!) + shwoing love to the dog (allways).
pinishments\corrections : with the leash - correction with the prongs
without a leash : being tough with my voice and body language.
3) During training : prongs collar

4) I worked with a dog trainer a year ago. time period : 1 lesson per week for 10 weeks and every day workout by my brother and myself.

5) When she is tied to the leash she allways listening and doing what I'm saying but sometimes I have correct her (when i'm holding food she reacts much better). Without a leash it is much harder to contol her and its hard to call her to come.
few months ago when i still practiced her every day she obeyed very well and so was time period after we finished with the dog trainer.
Old 22-10-2005, 19:22   #3
dolev

Another important thing.
I read about a dog named Amber that won obedience competitions.
Dear owner of Amber
your reply for the subject is very important to me
Old 23-10-2005, 00:07   #4
Ori

Send a message via Skype™ to Ori

Hi Dolevro!
here are my aswers (sorry my english is not so good)

1. Amber Wolf is almost 3 years

2. Rewards: when we started - it was a food, specially kinds of meat, after a year of training Amber learnt to love a ball, now we train mainly with a ball, only detalies with a food, of course we can also train without rewards but it is not so dynamic work then
I punish Amber with a voice, but I try not to punish him at all, just a positive training - a work is a pleasure and I can only say "NO" if he does wrong

3. Mostly we train without any collar, if we train walking on a leash we use normal skin collar (sorry I don'n know the english name)

4. We had a professional training at the age from 3 to 6 months (kindergarden), we have also a contact with trainers once a year on a training camp in Lazne, all time we train only me and Amber, sometimes we go to train with other dogs owners

5. training level???
How can I say this?
Look at our lists of obedience exams, they are talking all...
ZOP, ZZO, ZPU1, BH, PT, TPM, Obedience 0, Obedience 1,
Also many competitions...

Amber reacts better when he is unleashed. He is free and happy then. And he is working with pleasure. He always comes to me when I ask him, but
of course he is a wolfdog so sometimes he doesn't cooperate so much: When he feels stress (also or mayby specially MY stress), when he feels a female wolfdog smelling so fine once a year...

If you need something more just ask...
by
Ela & Amber
Old 23-10-2005, 00:11   #5
Ori

One more thing - we had also a two months long professional training at the age of 1,5.
by
Old 23-10-2005, 00:48   #6
dolev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori
Hi Dolevro!
Just to mention ' the name is Dolev

About Amber:
As you said' he did his last professional training with a regular collar (not a training collar). was it the dog trainer's advice to you ?

How did he learn to love the ball ?

I must say : your dog is a CZW with a brain of GSD
Old 23-10-2005, 01:12   #7
Ori

HI Dolev!
About a collar: we use only normal collar because we don't need anything "harder", I try not to punish Amber pulling the collar,
As I said he is better unleashed so sometimes he simple dosn't know if he has a leash or not
The answer is NO (for a 1 guestion) - our trainers likes collars that can punish the dog. I take it off basing on my observations.

About a ball: It was a ONE YEAR of work to teach him to like a ball, and it is not so simple to say...
For example: I took Amber from home to a place where we were training when he was full of energy, and I played with a ball with another dog, Amber was crazy then and also wanted to try - but he didn't like it if he was not interesed we won't play at all this time, only with another dog,
Step by step he used to like it, now he can "eat" your hand with a ball, but still he reacts like a wolfdog - in stress the ball doesn't exist at all....

Each wolfdog has a GSD gens, you just have to find them and develope...
You can't train a pure wolf at all....

It is a joke of course,
GSD is "born" with a passion to aport and to playing a ball
We can develope this in a Wolfdog but it needs much work...
the key is - to LOVE this work
Old 23-10-2005, 02:40   #8
mijke

Hi Dolev

1. chezka is 3 years

2. rewards: litlle peaces of meat or cheese.
(only for rescue training she likes a special toy when she bings me the "bringsel" (little dummy) or she shows me where the victom is hidden. At all the other trainings she is total not interested in this toy)
Punishment without leash :ignoring or walk away, doing other things (that's for this dog fabulous: she is super fast with me again!)
and punishment on leash: normaly nothing only making a sound to get attention back. And when it is nescecary only by voice NO.
And sometimes at home body language (make myself "big" or stand above the dog)
But positive rewards works the best !!!

3. during training (and always ) normal collar (also wish of our prof. trainer)

4. once a week together with official dog trainer (we also use her for re-training problematic dogs because of her normal and natural behaviour) Once a month with prof. trainer for rescue dogs. Biking/swimming/endurance/hikes aso with several goups with owners of different breeds who also like to to this.

5. I am working with my dogs only for pleasure (personal I hate exams, sorry! ) But chezka is working in groups with the official Dutch certificates VZH, G&G1, G&G2 aso and in opinion of the official trainer she has the same level (so he dislikes my fear for examms )

My experience is that when you are doing a lot to gether with your dog (and I don't only mention training) he/she 'll react better on your cammands
(for example when one of the dogs is (on term) always going on holidays with us, like chezka this summer in Greece, it was for us and her a lot of fun!
We were traveling together by car and ferry's, did sleep very close together in a small tent , did make together heavy hikes in river and mauntains aso. In such times I discover always a lot of new aspects in my dogs (willing to work together, recognise when a situation is dangerous, knowing a way to come out an area when we are lost, aso)
Most of the time she was without leash (except in city's) and only a click of my tongue was enough to make her come near my leg On campings she was very friendly to strange people, but in night time she was guarding the tent of my and the one of my children. For me such weeks are the most wonderful experiences with my CsW!)

Quote:
so sometimes he doesn't cooperate so much:When he feels stress (also or mayby specially MY stress)
And for this I can agree for more then 100% with Ela!
When I am stressed, I see this always very soon in the behaviour of my dog!

More questions? just ask!

greetings,
Mijke

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 12:20   #9
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel
Default ways of training CZWs

1) age of your dog
8 years female
5 years female
2 years male

2) kinds of rewards and "punishments".
Rewards by voice, handsmoothing and food.
Penalty by voice, pulling with leash and in extremely situation phisically contact with dog (like between wolves).

3) type of training collar (prongs, choker etc.)
Single chain choker collar, by defence and trace training a military wide leather collar.

4) do you work with a professional dog trainer ?
Yes, partly. I traning my dogs self but some times must my work checking the professional. Of course defence with profesional only.

5) what's the training level of your dog ? how it reacts to your commands ?

I have a working exams of 1st level (basic and 1st level). I dont training my dogs to reach much exams as possible but mostly for practically using (guarding a house, defence the owner, search the lost people, weapons or lost things etc.). My dogs react on my command naturally (I dont really understand the question). Dog must react on command same with or without leash (1st level exams is doing whole obedience without leash).

Pavel
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05   #10
Reut

Default pere's training

hi
i havent been in the site for a while and it's funy caus i came in today because latly i have had some training problems with pere.
dolev, i think our dogs are from the same litre of alfa and cezar, please contact me- 0545608881
anyway, pere is about 2 years old.
i got her when she was 6 month and had had no training before.
i also own her mother alfa wich had hard training with ginadi.
i worked her with a personal trainer for a year. once a week with him and an hour a day alone.
she improved and learnt verry fast.
but time went and i let it go a bit. and i saw that her obidieance is geting worse and i was strugeling with her. i culdn't control her so much and she was jumping the fence and going.
what is amazing is what happened now, i called my trainer and said that if he doesn't fix the dog i can't keep her. he came and we worked her one time togrther. the difernce is unbeliveble. i try to work her every day now again. she has changed back and again she is a comfeterbal dog.
i don't let her out of the yard with out a leash but whith my trainer together even this works. she is so obidient. with me she is perfect on leash and almost perfect with out leash in the yard.
we work with a choker to corect her and positive loving responce when she is good.
also i find that she loves the training setions. it is like a pupose for her, she likes it when i am prowed of her and her abilities.
Reut jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:11   #11
ray

Default pere

sory before when i wrote the replay i was sighned in as guest
ray jest offline   Reply With Quote