Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 30-04-2005, 21:50   #1
WolfmanUSA

Default Misc Questions- CzW as a hunter

Can the CzW be trained as a hunter, like one of the Laika breeds? Also, does the female CzW breed once per year like a wolf or twice per year like a dog?
WolfmanUSA jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:13   #2
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

First to the second question - most of the CsV bitches are in heat only once per year, although their cycle is not strict - some are in heat in the spring and some in the autumn, and not all at once.

Second question - I don't know if anybody tried it yet. But lot of people can assure you that it is not easy to train them not to hunt Though they usually don't pursue the prey far, similar as the wolves.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:18   #3
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki
Default Re: Misc Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanUSA
Can the CzW be trained as a hunter, like one of the Laika breeds?
It is hard to say if they can be trained as hunters because so far I know only two CzW trained for it. One of them was trained by a German hunter and was much better than their second dog ("typical" hunting dog). But it is not allowed to make any exams with them so I can only say: they have everything what you need for such tasks. I think they can be expecially good as tracking dogs. The only problem is with marking the prey because the work in silence....

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 18:54   #4
WolfmanUSA

Are there any CzW trained for police work and/or search & rescue work? If so, how do they fair at these types of jobs comparied to some of the more popular breeds, like GSD or Doberman, etc.?
Old 06-05-2005, 22:33   #5
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanUSA
Are there any CzW trained for police work and/or search & rescue work? If so, how do they fair at these types of jobs comparied to some of the more popular breeds, like GSD or Doberman, etc.?
Try this link:
http://www.wolfdog.org/php/index.php...e23506845eede7
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:08   #6
WolfmanUSA

Thanks for all of the great feedback I've been getting ! These dogs (I am sorry for calling them dogs, because they seem like so much more than just dogs!) seem awesome and I would someday love to have one as a companion. I always wanted a canine companion that was more free thinking than the average dog, but not as difficult to keep as a pure wolf. Form what I've been reading it seems because they are more independent thinkers (and more intelligent) training would not necessarily be harder, just different than the way you would train the average specialized breeds. Since these are "working dogs", are they required to have some type of "working title" before they are bred or allowed to compete in the show ring?
Old 25-05-2005, 16:26   #7
Danje

Hi Wolfman,
I think it may depend on where you live. Here in Germany at present time your dog needs to compete in 2 shows with different judges and receive atleast a 'very-good'. The VDH although is planning on changing the requirements for breeding with these dogs.
They wish to have them compete in a show with the outcome of 'very-good' and also they must undergo a charaktertest (they'll also get measured and thoroughly checked over).

Hope this helps a little.

Take care,
Wulfin
Danje jest offline   Reply With Quote