Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 20-04-2011, 12:18   #41
Rush

confrontional sorry
Rush jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:02   #42
Tassle

Confrontational means that there is a challenge there somewhere, usually the owner is challenging the dog (for example -to remove something off him he wishes to keep). If the owner attempts to take this by force (physically removing the item from the dog, the dog will often attempt to protect the item, you would then be in a confrontational situation.

I hope this makes it clearer for you.
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 18:34   #43
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Rush, the reason why I don't see a need to tell the puppy he did something wrong for "attacking" you was because I don't think that at just a few weeks old a dog is developed enough to display true aggression. Perhaps it was over enthusiastic playing? In such a case, wouldn't it be better to show the puppy what appropriate play is instead of rolling him?

In regards to chewing inappropriate things - I agree with the idea that you simply don't leave things you don't want chewed, out. You can't expect dogs to generalize "things not to chew" to include many things you didn't specifically say "not to chew" to. You can tell a dog not to chew this shoe, but it doesn't mean not to chew the other one, nor does it mean NEVER to chew this shoe, just not to chew it right this moment cause you said so. Nor does that mean not to chew the wall, closet, tree branches, etc.

You CAN however, easily tell the dog what IS ok to chew up, which is limited to just a few toys, normally

Of course there are many different schools of thinking when it comes to dog behaviors and training though!
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 00:07   #44
Rush

Tassle i understand now thanks, but how do you remove the thing from the dog what he wants to keep and he shouldn't? And let him know not to behave that way? For now there was no bigger problems with taking things excapt one bone my father gave him outside.. I try to take toys and things he can play with to see if he is ok and then immediately give him back and pet him

I can't say if it was true agression, but it looked like so becouse his attention was at something else and he didn't want to be disturbed or something ? :-) But anyway i think he got a lection, and i can't just go playing with him at that state because then he will continue this behavior..But very soon after calming him down in one or another way we go on normally.. Another point was that i was ready to go for walk with him and if i would for example leave him alone there on backyard he would probably stay there(We have 2 more dogs-but sadly the oldest is 14 it's GSD and he hardly walks, hears almost nothing, sees bad..we are hardly preparing to finish suffering:/ Another is 6month Akita and czw likes to crowl under the door outside to him :-P).. And it was enough to get my hand near him to trigger his reactions.
I just need to exhaust him on longer walks or dog plays then he is really great behaving :-P

It's also good that he has special priorities at dogschool for begginers, last time we stayed for 2 rounds of dogs to play and run around and no training..He is too young for that and planty of time, but i train him myself without "rough" methods they use there as pulling him like a toy to teach to walk "heel" for example, hope it's right word..And he is getting it pretty good, also often after some walking offleash he starts to walk very near and at the point he walks as i want i tell him he is good and repeat command some time, and sometimes i give him praise. I see big progres from beggining he was jumping between legs and mistakenly got few kicks that way.

Now i have to go to sleep, 5hours left..
Old 21-04-2011, 00:19   #45
Tassle

I swap or distract.

Some dogs learn to gain attention by stealing or chewing the wrong thing - remembering that even negative attention is better than being ignored - it is better to distract the dog away and look at a solution to prevent the dog from being able to do the action again, or teach a command for the dog to leave (It will always come back to training the dog in controlled situations).

I will never take something from a puppy just because, I will always swap - teaching him that it is good for me to be around and it is a nice thing for him to give it up to me as opposed to taking something away.

If it a really high value (the only thing my boy growled about was a lamb breast, which was of course very high value), I try and ensure I have something equally good or I distract away, going to a different room, playing with a toy, throwing some food about.
Possession is a funny thing with dogs - they are well within their rights (from their point of view) to protect that. I have no problems with dogs growling, it is a warning system and I do not want to get rid of that, it tells me the dog is not happy for some reason, IMO, it is my job to find the reason and teach the dog that it can trust me.

When Zeff growled (when I went near him eating - I had not attempted to take it away), the next time, I cut some strips off and as he was eating, I offered him another bot from my hand, then the next bit etc, until (after about 3 gos) he was fine with me walking about and would even give up the item without argument, Even a high value thing like a dead rabbit.
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 14:23   #46
Rush

Default CzW puppy meets wolfs :-)

CzW pup meets eurasian wolfs, they were really interested in each other :-)
I think it was great idea to take him to a zoo and he wasn't afraid of anything for excaption of my friends labrador who was afraid of elephant pretty much :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4538.jpg (103.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4533.jpg (102.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4551.jpg (103.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 25-04-2011, 14:31   #47
Rush

It was also great thing that he didn't try to get on other side of fances to other animals(Somewhere fences were very small, or also made so he could just crowl under.

Have fun everyone!