Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 16-05-2010, 21:22   #41
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmcgrane View Post
Just curious- how much food should a 5-6month old Vlcak get? I feed the recommended amount, but it seems that my puppy still remains on the skinnier side- although it seems that this breed is more of a skinny/lanky breed in puppyhood (more so than other dog breeds). Currently I'm feeding her a raw food (meat, bones and organs) and de-hydrated raw food diet along with vitamins. How much weight a week should she be gaining during this period? What month in her life will see the greatest weight gain? How much should a female Vlcak weigh when she's 5-6 months old? I'd appreciate everyone's advice!
Well, a skiny dog is always better than a fat one. Have you tried not measuring the food - just giving the amount a young dog wants to eat? If he has a sense of "enought" (mine doesn't), this could be the answer I am speaking about raw meat diet in this case.

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 21:28   #42
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Talking

Like this ???

Best regards / Mikael
Old 16-05-2010, 21:32   #43
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Like this ???

Best regards / Mikael
Well If the amount of bone and meat changes places in this photo... this would be just perfect

Where from do you take these photos?

Old 16-05-2010, 22:04   #44
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
Where from do you take these photos?
The Wolfdog.org gallery´s But I use the F5 method on the front page to view as many "photo of the moment" as possible in one minute Just press F5 and you get a new photo

But that one I had in my computer from before...

Best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 16-05-2010 at 22:06.
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 19:15   #45
pdmcgrane

Send a message via AIM to pdmcgrane Send a message via MSN to pdmcgrane

Quote:
Well, a skiny dog is always better than a fat one. Have you tried not measuring the food - just giving the amount a young dog wants to eat? If he has a sense of "enought" (mine doesn't), this could be the answer I am speaking about raw meat diet in this case.

Hah hah, if I let her eat as much as she wanted she'd explode! :0)
pdmcgrane jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 20:42   #46
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Hah hah, if I let her eat as much as she wanted she'd explode! :0)

Just try it once or twice. People say, that when dog knows there will always be plenty of food, he doesn't try to eat EVERYTHING as fast as possible anymore And you start to know how much a dog exactly needs (again - talking about RAW, not dry food or mixed way of feeding).

Old 18-05-2010, 09:52   #47
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

Its very funny (and sad same time) to read this discussion. Lunas Mom ask about the best feeding and when get a answer, that best one is raw, then argumentate, why is it not true.
I feeding my all dogs (CsW only) only raw and I dont see any problem. And raw get by me just puppy about 3 weeks old. I never used industrial produced food. My oldest - Nancy have just 13 years and no problems.
For info, my dogs eating
1. Full chicken (means really full, incl feathers, head, legs etc.)
2. Ostrich stomachs, heads and feets (some time whole ostrich)
3. Raw eggs, vegetable and fruits
4. Some times rests from kitchen as well
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 10:06   #48
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
Its very funny (and sad same time) to read this discussion. Lunas Mom ask about the best feeding and when get a answer, that best one is raw, then argumentate, why is it not true.
I feeding my all dogs (CsW only) only raw and I dont see any problem. And raw get by me just puppy about 3 weeks old. I never used industrial produced food. My oldest - Nancy have just 13 years and no problems.
For info, my dogs eating
1. Full chicken (means really full, incl feathers, head, legs etc.)
2. Ostrich stomachs, heads and feets (some time whole ostrich)
3. Raw eggs, vegetable and fruits
4. Some times rests from kitchen as well
You are happy you can get full chicken... I kind of envy you But we still give Brukne chicken heads, feet (very healthy for joints), just no featthers
Pavel, and how do you prepare vegetables? A lot of dogs eat whole carrots, apples, tomatos etc., but it is said that if you want your dog to assimilate the vegetables, they should be mashed into piure or boiled a little. So I am too lazy to prepare separate meals for my dog - only sometimes I add a handful of spinach into her sour milk. And the uncleaned cow's stomatch is a good substitute for vegetables

Old 18-05-2010, 10:07   #49
Silvester

In this case i completely agree to what Pavel wrote before !

The only strange thing for me is... "(some time whole ostrich)"...

How and where can one get a whole ostrich ??? Are you living next to a Zoological garden or an ostrich - farm , dear Pavel ?

And how long time does one dog feed on it , until the whole ostrich is completely eaten ? An Ostrich is weighting up to 120 kg ....
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 10:10   #50
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
In this case i completely agree to what Pavel wrote before !

The only strange thing for me is... "(some time whole ostrich)"...

How and where can one get a whole ostrich ??? Are you living next to a Zoological garden or an ostrich - farm , dear Pavel ?

And how long time does one dog feed on it , until the whole ostrich is completely eaten ? An Ostrich is weighting up to 120 kg ....
People grow ostrich for meat So it is possible to get the parts that are not used anymore or if the whole bird doesn't suit for people's food for some reasons

Old 18-05-2010, 10:17   #51
Silvester

Originally posted by Vaiva:

"People grow ostrich for meat So it is possible to get the parts that are not used anymore or if the whole bird doesn't suit for people's food for some reasons "

Of course i know this. But this was not the question - i´m wondering how one can get , transport and feed a whole ostrich to his dogs...

(May be he ment only young ostrichs..?)

I´m curious on Pavel´s answer here...
Old 18-05-2010, 14:16   #52
Angelika

Quote:
Of course i know this. But this was not the question - i´m wondering how one can get , transport and feed a whole ostrich to his dogs...
Where do you live, Silvester? Metropolis?

Did you never order a 1/4 or a 1/2 cow from a farmer? There´s no problem to get the meat home from the butcher - all you need is a station waggon

And if the ostrich stinks a bit after some time: what an amuse-gueule for the dogs
Angelika jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 14:44   #53
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelika View Post
Where do you live, Silvester? Metropolis?

Did you never order a 1/4 or a 1/2 cow from a farmer? There´s no problem to get the meat home from the butcher - all you need is a station waggon

And if the ostrich stinks a bit after some time: what an amuse-gueule for the dogs
Just remembered a funny story
At dog shows we all can see that most of the dog lovers are women, Lithuania is not an exception. Also among people feeding their dogs raw meet there are a lot of women. And once a very elegant red haired lady, owing Irish setters, got a... rabbit. With all the coat on. I am not sure now why she wanted to take the coat of, but she did. And on the dog owner's forum she asked, how she should do it. And the advise was to pump the rabbit with air - the coat then separates from the body. Imagine an elegant lady in a yard of BLOCK HOUSES, pumping the rabbit with a pomp for car's tires
Yes, she DID it

Old 18-05-2010, 15:05   #54
Angelika

Quote:
Imagine an elegant lady in a yard of BLOCK HOUSES, pumping the rabbit with a pomp for car's tires

Yes, women can ....
Old 18-05-2010, 16:07   #55
Silvester

Originally Posted by Angelika
"Where do you live, Silvester? Metropolis?

And if the ostrich stinks a bit after some time: what an amuse-gueule for the dogs "

Hmmm....I´m sorry, no , i never ordered a quarter or half of a cow from a farmer - may be i´m living in a more civilized part of Germany, who knows...

But I´m still waiting for the answer of Pavel ...
Old 18-05-2010, 16:37   #56
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

Quote:
Pavel, and how do you prepare vegetables? A lot of dogs eat whole carrots, apples, tomatos etc., but it is said that if you want your dog to assimilate the vegetables, they should be mashed into piure or boiled a little.
Mostly fruits must be not prepared. dogs likes it so, how is growing (poor our appeltree and plum-tree
Same is by vegetables. But many times i mash vegetables with joghurt or sour milk and its a very lovely "energy drink" for my dogs as well .

Quote:
Near Prague si a special ostrich slaghter house, where I get similary rests like you from chicken. And because by transport very seldom, but sometimes ostrich die, then I can get him. Its a whole story, which can be in first moment for many people very couriously
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 17:58   #57
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Just curious- how much food should a 5-6month old Vlcak get? I feed the recommended amount, but it seems that my puppy still remains on the skinnier side- although it seems that this breed is more of a skinny/lanky breed in puppyhood (more so than other dog breeds). Currently I'm feeding her a raw food (meat, bones and organs) and de-hydrated raw food diet along with vitamins. How much weight a week should she be gaining during this period? What month in her life will see the greatest weight gain? How much should a female Vlcak weigh when she's 5-6 months old? I'd appreciate everyone's advice!
In our raw feeding circles the general rule of thumb for feeding puppies is to feed 2-3% by weight of the projected ADULT weight. And adjust accordingly to individuals. Not having had a Vlcak yet, I can't tell you what the adult weight really should be, but even if I had one, all dogs are different. The correct and optimal weight for any dog of any breed is one where you can feel their ribs ever so slightly when you touch their sides without pushing much at all. Lots of breeds have the 'lanky ugly puppy stage'... way too much legs without an adult coat yet, makes for a funny looking dog.

In my experience with other breeds in general though, pups usually grow up first and then outwards, some taking up to 2 years to fill out completely.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 20:57   #58
Angelika

Quote:
may be i´m living in a more civilized part of Germany, who knows...
Certainly .... with meat from the supermarket
Very civilized indeed

Bye
Angelika
Old 18-05-2010, 22:05   #59
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Mostly fruits must be not prepared. dogs likes it so, how is growing (poor our appeltree and plum-tree
Same is by vegetables. But many times i mash vegetables with joghurt or sour milk and its a very lovely "energy drink" for my dogs as well .
Well, Brukne also knows best what is good for her. Canaby leaves (my friends parents have bees and some of these plants always grow in their garden ,because they use them for some bee-thing ). Also blackberries in a wood. She picks them with her lips and looks like a bear then. And she roles on blackberries too, and her neck becomes purple. She also knows wich mushrooms can be eaten raw (like russule).

Quote:
Near Prague si a special ostrich slaghter house, where I get similary rests like you from chicken. And because by transport very seldom, but sometimes ostrich die, then I can get him. Its a whole story, which can be in first moment for many people very couriously
You are a lucky person, Pavel

Angelika, I also live in a very civilized part of Lithuania - 5min by feet from the old-town of Vilnius (capital of Lithuania). Just I am not so ritch to buy kidney or liver in a supermarket, but I have time to get it from other places

Old 19-05-2010, 06:53   #60
Silvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelika View Post
Yes, i´m sure - it is more civilized and cultivated where i live ....!