Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Press, TV and commercials

Press, TV and commercials Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs in press, commercials, video clips and TV (playing themself or wolves) Articles and programs about this breed....

Old 24-01-2010, 15:25   #1
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Default Info about CsV and Saarloos by Linda Shaw MBA

"Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. An FCI recognized Czech breed developed from a cross between the European wolf and the GSD, supposedly to produce a larger, healthier, super shepherd. While similar to some Czech line GSDs in appearance, this dog's temperament, incorporating as it does the wolf's highly developed flight response, makes it unsuitable as a working dog, although some take part in obedience and low level IPO sport. It is a light wolf grey in colour.

Science is now revealing that the domestic dog has evolved a genetic capability to recognize human gestures and intonations of voice, an ability not possessed by the wolf. This would suggest that crossing the two might not be such a good ide"

.................................................. .................................................. .......................

"Sarloos Wolfhond. An FCI recognized Dutch breed developed from a cross between the European wolf and the GSD, supposedly to produce a superior shepherd dog. It has become highly inbred, has a pronounced flight response to stress (embedded in its Standard!), problems with shyness and poor nerves, and is completely unsuitable as a working dog. It can be light wolf grey, light cinammon sable and pure white.

Interestingly, the wolf breeds have become quite popular in Europe, where the wild wolf is essentially extinct. They seem to have a romantic appeal to Europeans who value their novelty and ties with a vanished wilderness. In North America, which still has extensive wilderness and healthy wild wolf populations, wolfdog crosses are frowned upon."

Link >>> http://images.google.se/imgres?imgur...JaHWmwOyhoSRAg

Best regards / Mikael
Old 24-01-2010, 20:07   #2
Rona
Distinguished Member

It's pathetic when people who have never seen any CSV live write about their character

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 20:22   #3
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
It's pathetic when people who have never seen any CSV live write about their character
Yes I think that was kind of funny to

Especially as people that reads it might think she is an expert...

Best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 24-01-2010 at 20:25. Reason: Text error...
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 00:55   #4
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Yes I think that was kind of funny to

Especially as people that reads it might think she is an expert...

Best regards / Mikael
I've noticed a lot of the same take on CsVs by GSD people in the US, especially comparing them to more "typical" wolf hybrids/crosses which are high content. I think there's such a problem with wolf hybrids in the states, and specifically a problem with back-yard-breeders using GSDs for these crosses, that it's a natural reaction to freak out upon first hearing of the CsV breed. It's a shame, though, that the majority of these people don't take the time to learn the history of the breed, specifically where not only is the CsV registered with the AKC FSS, but also that the dogs are so far removed from their wolf parentage that they're not even legally considered wolf hybrids in the states, they are DOGS!

I also think a lot of GSD people are almost afraid of the idea of the CsV, typically that the GSD has such a biddable personality that working with a personality more like the CsV is so foreign to them. As a husky person first and foremost myself, I have heard from tons of GSD people that they could never handle such a temperament. The same thing would go for the CsV! Just because a temperament is different, in my opinion, it in no way makes it invalid. There are situations where a CsV WOULD be better suited for a job than a GSD, specifically in a job that would require the dog to think of solutions on their own, and not just blindly follow commands.

But, this is all just my take on the situation.