Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 07-09-2010, 19:36   #1
draggar

Default Canine flu

The mutated strain of H3N8 (Equine flu) has already done its damage here in south Florida (ground zero for the outbreak here in the USA).

Has anyone experienced this with their vlcaks yet? How was it? Was it as unpredicatable with severity than what's been reported in the general dog population (in late 2005 we saw this, too, Zorro was the worst affected (and he is our healthiest dog!), MacLeod and Bella had some symptoms, but nothing too severe, and Maiya didn't show any symptoms).

What is worrying me a little is that H3N2 (a strain of avian flu) has crossed over to dogs in Korea (no reports outside Korea yet) and with the rate dogs travel around the world it could come here to the USA and give us a second round of this nightmare.

Also, any experts on this (canine flu) in here? (Mainly for brain picking)
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 20:35   #2
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Even though we stick to Dr. Dodd's minimal vaccination protocol, last year we did get our oldest dog (our 13 yo Doberman) the vaccination for this flu. I believe it was a two-part shot.

We skipped the little ones because they are young and healthy, but I didn't want to chance it with Lantis. I am not sure if it's true or not, but if it's anything like the human flu (bird or 'regular' influenza), the elderly and the very young or pregnant are always urged to get the flu shot and have priority to get them when the supplies are low.

Other than that, I don't know too much about the spread or mechanism of the flu, just that Lantis never did get it, and didn't have any bad reactions to the vaccination.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote