Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 26-01-2009, 00:33   #21
SarahAnn

Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to traveling. Hopefully I'll go overseas for a while and work. I've had to use my sense of humor with my cat plenty of times. I just can't stay mad at her!
I trained her to use the toilet and it was interesting to see how cats are! I've had people tell me you can't do anything with a cat but those people don't know animals very well I guess. I've been told that CsWs can take a little longer to housetrain than other dogs. They can be incredibly destructive when left alone and will chew things to pieces.
I would love to live outside city limits. I'm not a city girl and I miss the wide open spaces.
SarahAnn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 01:46   #22
solowolf

Default the working CWD

Hi, just reading through the posts, interesting, there are lots of shy CWD i have seen lots, but maybe you should look who is on the other end of the lead,,,I believe the dog can take from the charicter of its owner, lots of people do keep there dogs as pets, lots show there dogs, and it is true very few have the time for hard training, the CWD is a very versatile dog and we see him in all differnet homes and he adapts to nearly every knid of life style and learns to fit in, but i would never under estimate the working capabilities of the CWD, i keep my dogs in large kennels , they have very large excercise areas, they are very well socilised as pups and are friendly dogs and greet everyone, i work my dogs on sleve and also full bite suit, i have a Malinois as well who is trained, i have people who come to work there dogs at my farm, they have Malinois, Gsd, Rottweiler, i compare these to my CWD, my CWD can get to any target as quick as Malinois but quicker than GSD or Rotty, my Cwd can hit as hard as Rotty but harder than Mal or Gsd, my CWD will have more stamina than all these dogs for working day, the CWD is a great working dog and a pleasure to work with, i have had the police dog trainers see my dogs work and they inquire for a puppy from me, i was very proud of my dogs and that the police asked for a CWD for training. biggest problem with CWD is the new owners not prepared for the breed. to train the CWD for show ring i think you have to partly change with his charater, to me this is not correct, maybe you see how i keep my dogs is not correct, my dogs greet me as they did when they where pups they grab my hand or sleve and want a play, but you cant have show dog acting like this, so people train the dog not to do this,, Why? it is the dogs way of saying hello, to me it is part of the bond your dog has made with you,, i admit my CWD play very rough with me but it is how i like my dogs and i dont wish to change this part of there charater, but they are a very good working dog and should remain so. pacino
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 11:08   #23
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahAnn View Post
Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to traveling. Hopefully I'll go overseas for a while and work. I've had to use my sense of humor with my cat plenty of times. I just can't stay mad at her!
I trained her to use the toilet and it was interesting to see how cats are! I've had people tell me you can't do anything with a cat but those people don't know animals very well I guess. I've been told that CsWs can take a little longer to housetrain than other dogs. They can be incredibly destructive when left alone and will chew things to pieces.
I would love to live outside city limits. I'm not a city girl and I miss the wide ope spaces.n
Some of them are hard to housetrain, some of them aren´t. Some of them are destructiv some of them are not (though in general they tend to be). As with all breeds it depends on their training and their owner.
When you come overseas you are very wellcome to visit our place.

Regards Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 15:50   #24
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

I'd say that some are hard to housetrain and others are very easy to housetrain. They are just too individual in most aspect of their lives. What you can be sure of is that they are very intelligent (and have good memory), very inquisitive and very lively. Sometimes too much so. It's up to you how you can take advantage of these qualities.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 22:30   #25
SarahAnn

See, that's my concern. You can only research a breed so much until you just have to go out and actually interact with one (or several for a better range). My problem is that I don't know anyone in the US who has a CWD. There are plenty overseas but none that I know of here and I find that annoying.
When I got my cat from a rescue she was advertised as a domestic short hair calico - but she's now twelve pounds, has long thick fur, and has all of the traits common to a Maine Coon! She has an very different personality from when I first brought her home. I am just worried about how a CWD's personality would change. A dog that is outgoing becomes shy and it's something I worry about. My cat is now more outgoing but she's not a bold cat. I do appreciate the knowledgeable answers I'm getting though!
Old 30-01-2009, 22:31   #26
SarahAnn

Thank you so much for the invitation Ina! I'll be sure to visit.
Old 30-01-2009, 22:41   #27
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
See, that's my concern. You can only research a breed so much until you just have to go out and actually interact with one (or several for a better range). My problem is that I don't know anyone in the US who has a CWD. There are plenty overseas but none that I know of here and I find that annoying.
When I got my cat from a rescue she was advertised as a domestic short hair calico - but she's now twelve pounds, has long thick fur, and has all of the traits common to a Maine Coon! She has an very different personality from when I first brought her home. I am just worried about how a CWD's personality would change. A dog that is outgoing becomes shy and it's something I worry about. My cat is now more outgoing but she's not a bold cat. I do appreciate the knowledgeable answers I'm getting though!
Hey!

If you are ever in the southeastern VA area, I have 3 CSVs that you are more than welcom to meet. Each has a very unique personality.
I am for sure no expert like you will meet in Europe though!

It's also possible that I may travel south sometime this year for a show or trial; I'd be happy to meet up with you then too. I was born not too far from Savannah, in Hinesville.

Take care,
Marcy
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 23:22   #28
SarahAnn

Thanks Marcy!

Right now I'm depriving myself of sleep to get my B.F.A in Savannah, GA. I've been to Hinesville and the people there are so nice! I got lost trying to take a donation to Liberty Animal Shelter and a nice man at the gas station I stopped at showed me where it was by driving there. There are a lot of hardworking people who care about animals in that town.

I don't know about traveling to Virginia... but any excuse to travel is a good one if you ask me. I'm ready for a road trip. If you come down towards Savannah let me know! I'd love you meet you and your CWD family!

Right now it's back to matchmoving and ZBrush for me!
Old 31-01-2009, 00:45   #29
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Well, in the shelter they have the animal for a short time and without papers, thats what pedigrees are for, that you have a high probability that the dog will actually look and behave as the breed you are buiyng. Of course a lot depends on you - but nowadays if you get a CSW pup from a good breeder you have good probability of getting good character, it will need very thorough socialization, but then you will get good results. If you buy from responsible breeder pup from good parents and well pre-socialized, than you are not buying "a cat in a box". And of course good breeder will explain to you how to properly socialize your pup and will be willing to help you either personally or through phone/mail/instant messaging to answer your questions and help to solve problems.

But of course seeing the breed with your own eyes is very good if you ever have the possibility, grab it. Once seen (and tried) is many times heard.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote