Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Off topic

Off topic About everything and about nothing - way how to pleasantly spent your free time...

Old 07-02-2010, 07:17   #1
AraiNI

Send a message via MSN to AraiNI
Default Hi, new here :)

Hello, my name is Danielle, I am near Chicago, IL...I think I already see some names that seem familiar from some other UK forums.

I don't have a CSV, but I have a Northern Inuit and a Siberian Husky. I actually came across this very involved website when trying to find a good resource for my own website...hope you don't mind that I added the link. And might I say, this is quite the forum! I can't believe how many parts of the world are so connected onto just one forum. Very cool!

I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot about the breed. I was wondering if someone could tell me a bit about the temperament and health of the breed. If there is anyone familiar with NI, can you tell me what really sets them appart? Or how are the different from Sibes? Are there many in America? I honestly didn't think there were any...and I can clearly see that I was wrong. If there is anyone in the midwest, I would love to find an opportunity to meet your dogs (and you, of course, lol).

Anyway, this is an attempt at posting a picture, I hope its similar to all the other forums I'm on. Lupa is the NI, she'll be a year old this month. Ami is the Husky, she's 3.

AraiNI jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 15:50   #2
Vicky

I just want to lead off with the fact that I'm a horrible resource in that I don't have a CsV yet, but I wanted to say "hi" because I live right around the corner from you!! My fiance and I also have a husky, and I've been researching CsVs to hopefully become involved with working, showing, and possibly breeding them in the future.

Even though I have yet to meet these dogs in person, I thought I'd give at least a crack at answering your questions from the information I've come across in my research.

If I had to point out the biggest difference between NIs and CsVs, it would be the purpose behind breeding. I'd say that's what really sparks the difference in the dogs. To be quite frank, NIs were bred as mutts from different dog breeds in an attempt to create a dog that just looked more wolf-like. As far as I know, there is no real attempt on the breeders' parts to create a breed with a function beyond selling pets. NIs are not accepted in the AKC, and from what I understand, it isn't even a goal.

With the CsV, there is a very clear understanding of the breed standard, the ideal temperament, and the goal of a working dog straight from day one. The CsV was bred with a purpose from mostly German Shepherd Dogs and in the first stages of the breeding plan, from European wolves. These dogs were meant to work border patrol in Czechoslovakia. The CsV has a very strong work drive as well as developed guarding instinct. They are (from what I hear) more biddable than a husky, but their intelligence makes training them completely different than you would see with a GSD. CsVs ARE accepted in the AKC Foundation Stock Service, and the few owners in the US are hoping to create a national breed club in order to get full registration.

I feel like I'm testing all of my research here, so hopefully actual CsV owners will chime in and correct any mistakes I've made! At the very least, I do know that the CsV is a very hearty working dog, and that if a person is only looking for a companion animal to hang around the house, they will most likely be sorely disappointed! Think about the drive of a working GSD, then add in the stubborn, independent streak you see with breeds like huskies; it's a very rough temperament to live with!
Old 07-02-2010, 18:00   #3
AraiNI

Cool! Do you belong to the Will county dog parks by any chance? The one near me (Black road, Joliet) always has about 100 huskies...in this weather we are the majority and its a bunch of fun....of course, I tend to look like that kid off of A Christmas Story when I bundle up for the dog park, but you do what you've got to do.

Quote:
To be quite frank, NIs were bred as mutts from different dog breeds in an attempt to create a dog that just looked more wolf-like. As far as I know, there is no real attempt on the breeders' parts to create a breed with a function beyond selling pets. NIs are not accepted in the AKC, and from what I understand, it isn't even a goal.
I don't think the people that started the breed realized that they were creating a breed...I think they were just breeding to make a dog more for themselves, and when the popularity kicked off, there was no one sensible enough to record anything. I know the main woman behind it, Eddie, bred her dogs for no one but herself...and then other people fell in love with her dogs and took over.

Since its a large dog, everyone thinks that it should have a working purpose, but I think more people are happy with its purpose as being a companion dog, though there are some that do Agility and Obedience with their dogs...Lupa has her puppy championship in APDT Rally, and we'll be starting for her RL1 after she's a year old.

As for Recocgnition...well its not AKC anyway, since Lupa's only the third over here....the NIS committee is really torn between the idea. Some want it so that their dogs can be seen as a true breed and so that people can have the option to compete in KC competions. Others are afraid of how much control the breed club will have over breeders. As most that have researched NI are aware, they have enough problems with people breeding willy-nilly without a thought, what will happen when the puppy mills learn that the NI is going to be more popular? At least thats what they say.

Each to their own, I suppose. I'm happy with my girlly either way.
Old 12-02-2010, 14:15   #4
Vicky

No, we're not members of the dog park, but we're closer neighbors than I thought!

I'm one of those people that feels a dog should have a working purpose. I've done a lot of thinking about it, and if I look at my ethics, deep down, I really don't even think people have a place breeding toy dogs! Obviously, this brings up issues since 99% of dogs out there (aside from strays and village dogs) are pet animals, not working ones. For this reason, I've come to terms with the fact that there are going to be people breeding dogs for companion purposes, focusing on looks and calm temperament over working ability. However, with so many animals already in the world, I personally don't see the point in breeding more companion animals when there are so many unwanted animals in rescue that already have the traits that people are looking for. But like you said, each to their own!

And just because I've never posted pictures of him, this is our husky, Buddy. We got him from Free Spirit Siberian Rescue a little over 3 years ago. We think he's about 7 or 8.

Old 12-02-2010, 15:08   #5
AraiNI

If you ever feel like meeting up for a run, we always have a blast with other huskies (they know the right way to play, lol). I think you can get day passes, but honestly, they won't ticket you the first time they catch you. Let me know, and we can go out to the Homer Glen one (which is the nicest one, but a bit out of the way for me, so it would make the perfect excuse to go out there, lol).

Here's some pictures of our husky friends that we meet up with regularly.

Cyrus and Lupa (you might have seen Cyrus in the paper recently ), Lupa just loves this guy, she's constantly flirting with him.

And our very best husky friend, Meeka with Lupa and Ami. Meeka's the same age as Lupa so they really get going when they are together:

Ami would be in more pictures, but she has her five minute run around, then goes back to the weeds to hunt, lol. I have too many pictures of her with her head in a hole.
Old 14-02-2010, 02:07   #6
AMERICANI

Send a message via Yahoo to AMERICANI
Default CsVs in America

Hi AraiNI and Vicky... (Vicky, I think I tried to send a message a while back, but I have less than the best internet here, so I think I lost the reply while trying to send it.) I have been exposed to CsVs for the last 3 years, and I now have 4 of them (and 2 mutts). I want to see these wonderful animals in America, but like you mentioned earlier (about the puppy mills) I want to be sure they are the the best of hands. Some day (hopefully in about 2 years) I will start breeding them in Texas. I am very eager to see CsVs in our working dog community. This breed is easy to fall in love with, but at the same time, it is not like any dog you've ever had before.... with that being said, I've found, they are all different within themselves as well.
-My first "Ecaterina" (Estia dell Olimpalus) is very dominant with other dogs, but easily accepts me as her alpha. She doesn't like to be left alone (who does) and ate my seatbelts and window seals in my truck the day I went to pick up "Piter".
-My second "Piter" (Piter priv-Panicucci) is very calm (for the breed), docile to an extent, goofy, clumsy, and must 'carefully' jump on you to show his affection (note: I did my best to train him not to jump because I don't like it, but I'm beginning to think it is a lost cause with CsVs), and he likes to chew on ears while licking inside of them. And to top it off! He CAN be TRUSTED to NOT shred the interior of a car on a road trip!!!!
-My third, "Elsa" (priv - Bilotti), COMPLETE PSYCHOPATH!. Houdini would be amazed! She can escape anything (so far). Eats couches via broken remains of kennel vent, I put her in my truck for about 30 seconds to race in to use the restroom before a vet run, I came back....Seat belts were totally finished off as well as my headrests to both seats.. She is the most wolfish of them all (and possibly the prettiest).. She is still rather new to me, and I believe these negative issues will dissipate with work and time.
-My fourth ( as of Wednesday) "Soselo" (Garm -Braterswo Wilcakow) Is only 9 weeks old, can climb very well, is very attentive, plays with the big dogs, and howls like a miniature wolf when kennelled up. He loves snow, and "talking". the sounds he makes are so awesome and yet interesting & sometimes creepy (almost sounds humanish).

I just returned from a road trip to Poland to buy Soselo. On my way (there and back), I stopped in Prague, Berlin, Warsaw, Krakow (Auschwitz Museum), Bratislava and Venice. I finally had a chance to let Piter play in the snow for the first - 60th time. I just wanted to share my recent voyage with everyone. I sincerely recommend vacationing to Central Europe. Warsaw has some big malls, but all of these places would be more convenient using public transportation... Parking was a pain in Prague!

BACK ON TRACK - I would like to stay in touch with Americans honestly interested in CsVs. At this moment, all I have is the site I made www.americanikennels.com as contact info. In the future I plan to obtain the license and everything else required to operate a dog hotel for people who want the best place for thier furry family members to stay when they go on vacation.
AMERICANI jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 10:14   #7
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANI View Post
-My fourth ( as of Wednesday) "Soselo" (Garm -Braterswo Wilcakow) Is only 9 weeks old, can climb very well, is very attentive, plays with the big dogs, and howls like a miniature wolf when kennelled up. He loves snow, and "talking". the sounds he makes are so awesome and yet interesting & sometimes creepy (almost sounds humanish).
If he's as lovely as his half-brother Evan, I'm sure he'll give you a lot of happiness!

Quote:
I just returned from a road trip to Poland to buy Soselo. On my way (there and back), I stopped in Prague, Berlin, Warsaw, Krakow (Auschwitz Museum), Bratislava and Venice. I finally had a chance to let Piter play in the snow for the first - 60th time. I just wanted to share my recent voyage with everyone. .
You were in Krakow, and you didn't come to see us??? Great mistake!! We had a CSW meeting recently and your puppy would have a chance to meet his brother Evan and cousin Lorelei among other CZW.

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:39   #8
sciamalaia

Americani, where are you now? Are you in Venice? If you are near we can met each other.. I would like to see your dogs.
sciamalaia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 16:08   #9
Vicky

Quote:
(Vicky, I think I tried to send a message a while back, but I have less than the best internet here, so I think I lost the reply while trying to send it.)
If you sent something, I never got it!

AraiNI, we will definitely have to do that some time!! Buddy needs more "friends" like him, the only dogs he ever sees are labs and goldens, so you're right, they don't know how to "play"! However, we generally shy away from dog parks just because Buddy doesn't understand personal space, so he'll howl/bark right at other dogs and get surprised when they turn on him, and we always have to try and stay right by him because he's a humper. Are there times that are better for having less dogs around? Also, how big is the area? We've been meaning to check the place out, but we haven't found it! haha

I don't think we'd have free time for it for awhile, but we'll still have to plan something down the line. I'd love to meet your dogs!
Old 15-02-2010, 17:06   #10
AraiNI

Lupa and Meeka are still at the stage that they don't understand when a dog is telling them to back off, they think the other dogs just want to play...and they both have got such little coordination with their limbs right now that some dogs just don't like them too much, lol. Ami's a humper too, its such a pain isn't it? Typically there are less people earlier in the day. The one in homer glan is really slow in the day, but I was going there when it was still fairly new (we lived in new lenox at that time), so I'm not sure if it changed since then. The one out there is (i think) 5 or 6 acres separated into 4 areas. Three areas with a pavillion and one larger area connected in back of the big dog areas with a walking path. It's really lovely, I really wish I could justify spending the gas to go there more often, but the one on black road is a 30 second drive and the one in Naperville is about a 15 minute drive....

Anyway, I would love if someone could give me a little more to add to my website on CSV, right now this is all I have "CSV can be traced back to 1955. They are recognized as the national breed in Czechoslovakia.They are considered "Low Content Wolfdogs"" plus a link to this website.

http://northerninuitusa.webs.com/otherbreeds.htm

I don't want to give incorrect information, so I figured this would be the best place to ask. Thanks
Old 15-02-2010, 19:03   #11
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraiNI View Post

Anyway, I would love if someone could give me a little more to add to my website on CSV, right now this is all I have "CSV can be traced back to 1955. They are recognized as the national breed in Czechoslovakia.They are considered "Low Content Wolfdogs"" plus a link to this website.

http://northerninuitusa.webs.com/otherbreeds.htm

I don't want to give incorrect information, so I figured this would be the best place to ask. Thanks
If you are talking about the breed in the US, you can find official AKC and UKC info here (the breed is recordable with AKC/FSS and fully registerable with UKC - it is known as the Czechoslovakian Vlcak). It can compete in Companion events in the AKC, as well as Conformation B matches. It is fully recognized by the FCI; while it is a national breed of the former Czechoslovakia, it's patronage country is now Slovakia, although the Czech breeding commission works very closely as well. I don't know if it is "the" official breed in either country.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/czechoslovakian_wolfdog/
http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/B...ovakianWolfdog

The breed was created with a working purpose in mind, not just as a "wolf look-alike". It is not considered a "low content wolfdog" in the US - according to Humane Society policy, anything beyond F5 (generation 5 after wolf breeding) is only a dog - current CSVs in the US are all a few generations beyond F5. In reality, they still carry some wolfish influence in temperament, and looks, obviously.

If you look under "History" on this website, you will also find some info.

Marcy
Old 15-02-2010, 22:24   #12
AMERICANI

Default Poland

I wish I had publicly announced my trip now, aside from my ATM card locking me out because I forgot my PIN in Prauge, I would have loved to had hooked up with some other human beings (Piter was great company as well - He let me know if someone was near the car when I pulled over to rest). Daniel was really friendly! I even had a beer with some Polish soldiers at my hotel...I want to go back when it isn't so cold.
Old 15-02-2010, 22:30   #13
AMERICANI

Default Venice

Sorry i'm back in Napoli.... The 3 hours I was there (due to the mad-house of carnevale - which I forgot all about until I wound up in the middle of it)... Like I said, had I made my trip known to everyone we probably would have been able to hook up. I definitely know what to do next time!
Old 15-02-2010, 22:39   #14
AraiNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
If you are talking about the breed in the US, you can find official AKC and UKC info here (the breed is recordable with AKC/FSS and fully registerable with UKC - it is known as the Czechoslovakian Vlcak). It can compete in Companion events in the AKC, as well as Conformation B matches. It is fully recognized by the FCI; while it is a national breed of the former Czechoslovakia, it's patronage country is now Slovakia, although the Czech breeding commission works very closely as well. I don't know if it is "the" official breed in either country.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/czechoslovakian_wolfdog/
http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/B...ovakianWolfdog

The breed was created with a working purpose in mind, not just as a "wolf look-alike". It is not considered a "low content wolfdog" in the US - according to Humane Society policy, anything beyond F5 (generation 5 after wolf breeding) is only a dog - current CSVs in the US are all a few generations beyond F5. In reality, they still carry some wolfish influence in temperament, and looks, obviously.

If you look under "History" on this website, you will also find some info.

Marcy
Thank you, most of the information I get is from the UK sites, so the information I have is probably old and (considering the sources) wrong. I knew that CSV was created for a working purpose, I hope I didn't make it seem like it wasn't. I just wanted to mention other breeds that people might come across in their search. Thanks for the information
Old 17-02-2010, 18:14   #15
AraiNI

Does this sound right?

Quote:
CSV can be traced back to 1955 when the first matings of a German Shepherd Dog with a Carpathian Wolf took place. Several generations of matings happened between dogs that were tested for their capacity for training, activity and tenacity. These later generations were used as service dogs in the army. The last inclusion of wolf lines was in 1983 and the breed has been bred pure since. In some countries they are considered "low content wolfdogs" but in America, all the the current residing dogs are beyond F5. They do, however, still retain some wolf influence in temperament and looks. CSV is recordable with AKC, fully registerable with UKC, and fully recocgnized by FCI.
Thanks so much for you help!

Is anyone familiar with Saarloos, too? Or know of a place I could look? I've had much more trouble finding information on them.
Old 18-02-2010, 00:13   #16
AMERICANI

Default To AraiNI:

Try Norway.... They seem to not have a problem with Saarloos.... They are used as blind dogs, and for some reason (I would never suggest any country in Europe eh-hem {cough} .. be crooked) They are legal there... EVEN THOUGH.... CSVs are banned because they are a dangerous wolf breed... One day, when I come back home (Stateside) I will chat more. Jason