Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

View Poll Results: WHO IS ARMIN?
Armin is German Shepherd Dog 7 14.00%
Armin is Czechoslovakian Wolfdog 2 4.00%
Armin is a Mix 41 82.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2005, 20:46   #21
fenris

The wise thing about Armin x Wolf descendants is exactly the fact that Armin is a mix. Probably Armin is more heterozygous than the purebred CWD. Armin x Wolf cross offsprings are less homozygous than a cross between a pure CWD x Wolf. And it is the offsprings (Mutara) that matters. They are the ones that will be bred to a pure CWD. Not Armin himself. When the CWDs are more linebred, inbred and homozygous than the "Mutaras"; the CWD genes will dominate the offsprings in less generations than if CWD would be crossed with a purebred, linebred Shepherd or (often very inbred) zoo-wolf. So braking up the wolfs homozygousity with a different dog can be fortunate before crossing it to a purebred CWD.

The next wise thing about Armin is that he has good working qualities and temperament. A very important factor when breeding to a pure wolf. Cant you see that this is strategy - dogbreeding is a tedious process. Go look at the original Working-Shepherds used to create our breed. Genetics is more than a beauty-contest.

Armin is NOT an ugly creature. Such characteristics are not descriptive of a working dog. Those of you whom cannot differentiate more exact than between beautiful and awful are in danger of reducing our working breed to a simple show-dog!.

Fenris
fenris jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 20:49   #22
belgshep

That is often the big problem,breeds get hijacked by the show people and are bred to conform to a standard which is changed to suit the market and all working ability is lost,two breeds I work with have suffered badly from this and it is now very hard to find a real working GSD or Rottweiler hence everyone is turning to the Malinois.
Paul
belgshep jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:42   #23
slarman

Hi,
Wolfwoman I don't think Armin is awful,I just think he is a crossbreed.I, like Paul, totally agree with you.
We humans can learn alot from our animal sisters&brothers about love,community support and respect for each other!
Whether Armin is pure or not is the question posed,he may well possess qualities that could enhance a breed but thats by-the-by.Everything has a beginning somewhere and it's not how it began but what it brings to our lives thats important!
Simon
slarman jest offline   Reply With Quote