Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 23-07-2010, 13:34   #1
Vicky

Default Training for Trailing/Search & Rescue

I know there have already been threads on this subject, but I was hoping for some more specific advice. In the future, I want to get involved with Search & Rescue, and I was hoping to get some insight from people who have already done such work with their dogs.

How does one go about finding a group to work with? I'm looking for a training group that would be on more of the "casual" side, since I'd like to dabble in it with my current dog who would have a load of fun with it, but I know wouldn't have the work ethic needed to do actual SAR (husky! haha) The only groups I've found in my area so far have either been actual, serious working groups, or serious sporting groups for tracking which isn't even what I'd like to do. For people in the US, are there any parent groups for trailing that might show smaller groups in my area that you know about?

Also, what are some ideas for training at home? Ideally I'd find a group to work with first, but if I can't find someone willing to work with someone who isn't serious about actually working their dog, I'd at least like to "play" at home with training.
Old 23-07-2010, 14:37   #2
michaelundinaeichhorn

Hello Vicky,

the starting of trailing training is pretty simple, you can do this going on walks with family members etc. There must be some literature in your country as it is the origin country of trailing. Or maybe there is some weekend workshop etc. where you can see how to start. When you get into difficult trails and rescue work you come to a point where you need some advice but you can simply start with just teaching the dog to use it´s nose for finding people, building up the commands and the starting ritus by your own with very few advise.

Greetings
Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 14:42   #3
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
I know there have already been threads on this subject, but I was hoping for some more specific advice. In the future, I want to get involved with Search & Rescue, and I was hoping to get some insight from people who have already done such work with their dogs.

How does one go about finding a group to work with? I'm looking for a training group that would be on more of the "casual" side, since I'd like to dabble in it with my current dog who would have a load of fun with it, but I know wouldn't have the work ethic needed to do actual SAR (husky! haha) The only groups I've found in my area so far have either been actual, serious working groups, or serious sporting groups for tracking which isn't even what I'd like to do. For people in the US, are there any parent groups for trailing that might show smaller groups in my area that you know about?

Also, what are some ideas for training at home? Ideally I'd find a group to work with first, but if I can't find someone willing to work with someone who isn't serious about actually working their dog, I'd at least like to "play" at home with training.
My tracking group (AKC) actually gets/has quite a few people who are involved with SAR, but sometimes don't have the time/dedication at a particular point in there life to be completely involved in SAR (baby, work, etc.). As I figured out at a seminar I went to a couple weeks ago, AKC tracking is somewhere in between SchH and trailing - our dogs are supposed to "track" - follow ground scent. But, AKC is much more liberal in the distance a dog is allowed to air scent and leave the track than in SchH (which is no more than a body length off - training involves a lot of obedience). For AKC, it almost has to be that way, since the dogs are pushed further faster - a TD (beginner) track in AKC is very similar to a SchH III track. I think think that you will find members in a dedicated tracking club that will be willing to work with you towards your goals, and have plenty of expertise in scent theory to at least get you started. I've actually been training (laying tracks for) with a lady in my SchH group (from Germany) that does SAR - but she is a single mom in the navy, so no time for the intense stuff. The track-laying has been similar - except I sit as the reward at the end of the track, and no food is used as it is SchH or AKC. The dog is also not allowed to eliminate on the track (in AKC they can) - don't want to contaminate the track. And of course, things go much faster! The age of the tracks can be much longer too (in AKC, the age is a maximum of 5 hours - SAR can be days or even weeks long!).
Old 23-07-2010, 14:42   #4
michaelundinaeichhorn

http://www.jackshuler.com/

Maybe you can get some more informations here, or just google.
Old 23-07-2010, 14:56   #5
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
My tracking group (AKC) actually gets/has quite a few people who are involved with SAR, but sometimes don't have the time/dedication at a particular point in there life to be completely involved in SAR (baby, work, etc.). As I figured out at a seminar I went to a couple weeks ago, AKC tracking is somewhere in between SchH and trailing - our dogs are supposed to "track" - follow ground scent. But, AKC is much more liberal in the distance a dog is allowed to air scent and leave the track than in SchH (which is no more than a body length off - training involves a lot of obedience). For AKC, it almost has to be that way, since the dogs are pushed further faster - a TD (beginner) track in AKC is very similar to a SchH III track. I think think that you will find members in a dedicated tracking club that will be willing to work with you towards your goals, and have plenty of expertise in scent theory to at least get you started. I've actually been training (laying tracks for) with a lady in my SchH group (from Germany) that does SAR - but she is a single mom in the navy, so no time for the intense stuff. The track-laying has been similar - except I sit as the reward at the end of the track, and no food is used as it is SchH or AKC. The dog is also not allowed to eliminate on the track (in AKC they can) - don't want to contaminate the track. And of course, things go much faster! The age of the tracks can be much longer too (in AKC, the age is a maximum of 5 hours - SAR can be days or even weeks long!).
You should be carefull not to mix up tracking and trailing, these are two very different techniques and if you work a trailer much after tracking rules he will never become a good trailer. As a working trailer can make up to around 20 kms a day and works several hours with breaks around every 1-2 hours he of course is allowed to eliminate on the trail and should be able to get a contaminated trail sorted.
Old 23-07-2010, 17:17   #6
GalomyOak
Howling Member

In no way was I trying to imply tracking or trailing are the same. Only that our tracking clubs might be a good place to look for resources, especially for a beginner - of course if you want to get serious, NASAR offers some courses (each state/region has training organizations too), and even an introductory course - but most require a significant dedication of time and money, and usually some travel. I guess I can't really speak for other tracking clubs, but ours is a medley of people. Some of the important resources you will need for either method are found there:

1. People who are willing to be the "missing person" - this is why I really like my tracking club. It's a group of people willing and understanding - usually even enjoying! - sitting in a field in 36 F pouring rain for many hours - or hanging out with the ticks, spiders and venomous snakes on a 101 F humid Virginia day after walking up the side of a foresty mountain. My family and "non-dog" friends mostly think I am crazy for enjoying these activities. Many of these people are also familiar with some of the unique challenges of our terrain (which is really different from, for example, urban training, tundra training or southwest training) - but also belong to a greater nationwide network of people familiar in their own terrains who will happily share expertise.

2. Tracking clubs have often made arrangements with landowners to train in their fields and land - I don't know about IL, but it is a big mistake to walk upon a farmer's fields - or even privately owned forest - without permission in VA. National and state parks can provide good opportunities too.

Like I said, our club is very flexible, and not everyone is too competitive or strict about "pure tracking" (like SchH) - they want handlers to reach their individual goals, and experienced members know there are major differences in the techniques. Some of our older members have done SAR, but don't have the physical condition for it anymore - or like I said, others are too involved with other parts of their lives to have the dedication that organizations such as NASAR require. SAR people generally join our group for the 2 reasons above.

Maybe you could try checking with your local SAR organization to see if there are "beginner" training sessions?

I was recently told the part about elimination from the German lady that I have been hiding for...but maybe one of us misunderstood.
Old 23-07-2010, 18:21   #7
michaelundinaeichhorn

Well mainly I think our differences resulted out of my language problem and the different situation in countries.
But anyway if your trailer really goes into rescue or policework you will find it rather difficult to keep your dog concentrated on it´s work for two hours if it is in urgent need of elimination but not allowed to.
I sometimes have the feeling they pee to have a very little brake and relax and then carry on refreshed.

Ina
Old 23-07-2010, 18:28   #8
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
I sometimes have the feeling they pee to have a very little brake and relax and then carry on refreshed.

Ina
I think I can understand that feeling!