Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Clubs & law > The Czechoslovakian Vlcak Club of America

Old 09-03-2011, 14:48   #1
draggar

Lightbulb **ANNOUNCEMENT** Introducing the UCSVC

Hello all, I am extremely pleased to announce the (ongoing) formation of the United Czechoslovakian Vlcak Club (UCSVC). The UKC national breed club for Czechoslovakian Vlcaks in the United States.

The club was formed to help promote well being, ethical treatment and breeding of, promotion, education, working temperament, and perfection of the Czechoslovakian Vlcak. We will also workwith UKC judges (who want to learn) to educate them on the breed, many have never seen a Czechoslovakian Vlcak (we printed out the standard and brought it with us to the last cluster and the judges appreciated it).

We will also manage a nation wide Czechoslovakian Vlcak rescue - helping people who can no longer care for their Vlcaks get the Vlcaks into good and the right homes.

Our standard is based on the FCI standard, which is obtained from the country that has "guardianship" status over the Vlcak standard - Slovakia (a.k.a. the Slovak Republic).

We are still looking for members in the USA as well as people who may show in the USA (Canada, etc.) or just want to help with getting the club fully operational. We are primarily looking for people who own and live with at least one Czechoslovakian Vlcak but will also welcome people who have knowledge and talents that would be important to the club. You do not need to own a Vlcak to be in the club (but it is required though the ByLaws to own and live with one to serve on the board of directors).

If you wish to join (no dues at this time) please send me a PM with your name, email address, general location (city / town, state), as well as any Vlcas you own and, if you're a breeder or plan to be one, your kennel name).

We have a Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...081279869&ap=1

As well as a preliminary site:
http://ucsvc.com/

* Code of Ethics and ByLaws are not posted on the site pending a vote - PM me your email address if you wish to view them - all applicants will get a copy of both).

* Forums for the club are being worked on (basics are up, just unlinked at this time). I am also looking into adding a chat room plugin for the forums so we can conduct some meetings though them.

Club Status:
* UKC registration - application is pending (not enough members) but I have spoken to a UKC representative about the club.

* Incorporation listing - I am waiting for a vote (we need more members) on the board of directors before I incorporate the club. It will be incorporated as a non-profit organization. When this is set I'll get a tax ID and be able to open a bank account for the club.

* 501(c)(3) status - right now this is WAY too expensive (I think a minimum of $400 a year). All donations made to the club will NOT be tax-deductible.

* UCSVC store - I am currently reviewing different sites to go though (like Cafepress.com) for the store. If you have suggestions, let me know.

* Insurance - no rush on this. UKC requires one event every two years and we won't need insurance until we start hosting events.

(Please excuse any letters that might be missing - the laptop I'm using now isn't really the best with fast typing)
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 19:11   #2
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Thumbs up

Good Work Ed

Best regards / Mikael
Old 09-03-2011, 20:23   #3
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Hi, can I correct mistake? Your club has bad name. You wrote czechoslovakian vlcak. It sound very funny, because czechoslovakian is english word and vlcak is almost czech word. Right name is czechoslovakian wolfdog in your language or československý vlčák in czech language or československý vlčiak in slovakian language. Vlcak is bad word too. Your name is hybrid between both languages.
But- congratulation to creating club. It is great.
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 20:37   #4
draggar

Hey Hanka - in the USA the word "wolfdog" has a very bad reputation - people will think "wolf hybrid" if they hear wolfdog plus many towns and cities will ban the dog solely on the name. We're trying to eliminate a problem and a bad reputation before it even starts. There is a rather negative resentment towards wolf-hybrids here in the USA (outside of the wolfdog and hybrid communities).

As for vlcak vs. vlčák - at least 99.999% of Americans won't even think about the č and á letters so Vlcak is an "Americanized" version of the name. Last I checked, it translated to "alsatian", also (are my translations wrong?).

Personally I would love československý vlčák but no one would type that in, look for it, or maybe even take us seriously.

As for vlcak being a "bad word" - we have a popular toothpaste here called "Colgate". Yet in Spanish, colgaté literally means "go hang yourself" (like telling someone very rudely to go away). Bad words (and gestures) in one culture can have a completely different meaning in another. Besides, I'm training people to pronounce it correctly, "VL-chuck" (yes, I'm trying to learn Czech - but the Art of War got in between that book and myself).
Old 09-03-2011, 20:40   #5
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Yes, I know about reputation of word wolfdog in US, it is a pitty. I only wont to write you about this "half name" of your club .
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 22:16   #6
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

The official name in Sweden, by Swedish Kennel Club is "Ceskoslovenský Vlcak" As they do not want people to understand what Vlcak realy means

Therefor "Wolfdog" in Swedish = Varghund was not a OK name

I think "Czechoslovakian vlcak" is a very good name to use in the US,
if "Wolfdog" was used, there would be problems for sure...

Best regards / Mikael
Old 09-03-2011, 22:42   #7
Nebelwölfe

Send a message via ICQ to Nebelwölfe Send a message via Skype™ to Nebelwölfe

Congratulations! Good working!

Nebelwölfe jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 23:34   #8
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

I hope the club will be successful and work for the benefit of the breed and it's enthusiasts... I keep my fingers crossed for you.

And I think using the word vlcak is OK, lot of us use different words that have origin in English, why could you not use more than one that originates in Czech? I hope the word Vlcak will get as popular and positive as Robot ;o)

Offtopic: By the way, the author of the word Robot, Karel Capek, wrote a beautiful children's story Dasenka - the life of a puppy. Dasenka is not a vlcak puppy, but a foxterier, but the story could almost be about vlcaks, if vlcak puppies would be willing to listen to stories about other breeds too ;o)
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 15:08   #9
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
I think "Czechoslovakian vlcak" is a very good name to use in the US,
if "Wolfdog" was used, there would be problems for sure...
You have no idea how true that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebelwölfe View Post
Congratulations! Good working!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
I hope the club will be successful and work for the benefit of the breed and it's enthusiasts... I keep my fingers crossed for you.
I hope so, I'm trying to set the club off on the right foot. A high standard of ethics (ownership, training, and breeding), transparency, and promoting the dog.

Quote:
And I think using the word vlcak is OK, lot of us use different words that have origin in English, why could you not use more than one that originates in Czech? I hope the word Vlcak will get as popular and positive as Robot ;o)
I don't hope it becomes that popular - when a breed becomes more popular you start to get the severely negative element in the breed, unethical breeders, puppy mills, etc.. and with AKC's policy they'll accept just about anything (I'm sure i could register my cat as a purebred dog in AKC if I really wanted to).

As for the word, why not? Thst's what it is called. When people here think of a German shepherd they think of the garbage you see in the show ring and people tend not to believe me when I tell them Kiri is a purebred GSD so at times I just refer to her as a Deutsche Schäferhunde - they often think it is a new breed.

Quote:
Offtopic: By the way, the author of the word Robot, Karel Capek, wrote a beautiful children's story Dasenka - the life of a puppy. Dasenka is not a vlcak puppy, but a foxterier, but the story could almost be about vlcaks, if vlcak puppies would be willing to listen to stories about other breeds too ;o)
I've never had a fox terrier but I've noticed that some breeds have some of the charateristics of vlcaks, primarily more primitive breeds. We had a litter of Finnish Spitz puppies a few years ago and they are VERY primitive. While the GSD puppies didn't need to be with each other all the time the finkie puppies were *always* in a pack and "hunted" the other dogs (and cats) in a pack. It was like Wild Kingdom in our house! The GSD and malinois didn't prepare us for the vlcak but the Finnish Spitz did (except for the finkie's independence).
Old 25-03-2011, 16:39   #10
draggar

I (finally) have the forums up and running anf working properly, people can join them if they wish:

http://ucsvc.com/comms/

It is primarily for the UCSVC. When you first register you will only be able to post in ONE section, this is for spam control. You will be able to see the puppies for sale and rescue section but only UCSVC members will be allowed to post in this section.

If you sign up, send me a PM there or here with your username and who you are.

If you are in the USA (or Canada) and are interested in joining the UCSVC and haven't contacted me yet, please send me a PM here.

Last edited by draggar; 25-03-2011 at 16:50.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:47   #11
AraiNI

Send a message via MSN to AraiNI

I know I'm seeing this information late (as I don't check this forum often), but I just wanted to say congrats! I think it's great that you are making so much progress with CSV in America. I really wish I would have found this breed before I committed myself to Northern Inuit Dogs, as I think I would have been much more satisfied with the results as far as support from the breed club goes. You guys really seem to have your act together. I look forward to seeing the breed progress in an ethical and responsible manner (proper health/temperament testing and involvement in competitive sports). Good luck in your endeavors!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18   #12
draggar

Its never too late!

I didn't know we had Inuits in the USA (well, not yet but they're becoming known with the HBO series "Game of Thrones" - the dire wolves are Inuits)., they're a series of domestic dogs bred to look like a wolf (a dog in a wolf costume?), correct?
Old 03-05-2011, 16:56   #13
Puma
Ottokar lovers

as for czech wolfdogs versus northern inuits, here's them playing together...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Evian Holiday 169.jpg (99.4 KB, 56 views)
Puma jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 03:32   #14
Jennin Lauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
I've never had a fox terrier but I've noticed that some breeds have some of the charateristics of vlcaks, primarily more primitive breeds. We had a litter of Finnish Spitz puppies a few years ago and they are VERY primitive. While the GSD puppies didn't need to be with each other all the time the finkie puppies were *always* in a pack and "hunted" the other dogs (and cats) in a pack. It was like Wild Kingdom in our house! The GSD and malinois didn't prepare us for the vlcak but the Finnish Spitz did (except for the finkie's independence).
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...10.02069.x/pdf