Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Dog shows

Dog shows Our show successes, how to prepare a CzW, how to show him...

Old 03-06-2011, 22:40   #1
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari
Default Poisoning of dogs at FCI show in San Marino..

I just read about this, which happened at a show over the last weekend in May. I hope that nobody was affected!
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:06   #2
draggar

I think it was primarily (suspected) Benadryl that they gave the dogs which would mainly make them tired (it's hard to OD a dog on Benadryl). I think something else was given that would just slow the dog down but have no long term or permanent effects.

But still - this is horrible and sadly, nothing new in the dog show world.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:12   #3
yukidomari

Several dogs died.. to me that is certainly not every day show world news.. and a bit more serious than benedryl! It's suspected Strychnine was used.

Last edited by yukidomari; 06-06-2011 at 01:18.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21   #4
draggar

Oh wow, I didn't hear about that one, I just remember recently reading that a handler was caught poisoning (Benadryl etc..) to the competition's dogs.

Yeah, fatalities are very uncommon, most of the time it's just to make them not themselves for the show.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50   #5
Shadowlands

It was reported in the news that strychnine (or some other highly toxic material) had been sprayed on the grass so that any dog that wanted to clean their paws etc. would be poisoned. Dogs died but it looks like the news didn't spread far... What if children did too? That would have been HUGE news... I hope they catch them (but somehow doubt it as it was 'only dogs that died'!!)

What makes this whole thing worse is that it seems the organisers were aware that there was a loony in the area with this kind of history yet did little to warn people about it, nor did they provide an adequate emergency vet service at the show.

Now I hear that 13 dogs have died in England after being walked along the same lane - what is the world coming to??
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:04   #6
Enid Black

In San Marino happened a mess, and people are very angry at them, especially because the organizers did not want to put the competition off and insisted on continuing until the angry people got angrier angrier and they understood it was better for them to call it off.

I wasn't there, I read a lot of things on Facebook from friends and Spettro's parents and sister were due to be there, but luckily they were warned on time and did not go!!

Enid Black jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 19:44   #7
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands View Post
What makes this whole thing worse is that it seems the organisers were aware that there was a loony in the area with this kind of history yet did little to warn people about it, nor did they provide an adequate emergency vet service at the show.

Now I hear that 13 dogs have died in England after being walked along the same lane - what is the world coming to??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enid Black View Post
I wasn't there, I read a lot of things on Facebook from friends and Spettro's parents and sister were due to be there, but luckily they were warned on time and did not go!!
I'm glad that Spettro's family did not go to the show... how scary. So sad for all the dogs who died, to all owners and handlers who were excited about exhibiting their dogs..
Old 06-06-2011, 21:14   #8
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

Same problem was in the Estonian Winner show. Poisoned meatballs