Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Clubs & law

Clubs & law Information about CzW clubs in other countries, law concerning CzW and Kennel CLub regulations...

Old 15-03-2009, 13:15   #1
Per Olav

Send a message via MSN to Per Olav
Default Keep clear of Norway

The Norwegian Government did by 2004 issue a ban on the Czeschoslovakian Wolfdog and the American Staffordshire Terrier which are not allowed to import, keep or breed as the dogs are considered dangerous. In the last weeks Norwegian Media a new debate on the ban has arissen. The owners of the Amstaff Majlo - a young Swedish couple - left Sweden for new jobs in Norway. The couple claiming unaware of the Norwegian ban crossed the border accompanied by their pet. Some time later the police broke into their apartment and removed the dog. Fearing the owners would kidnap it the police brought the animal to secret rescue and the owners have to pay approx 400 euro for seeing their dog on a meeting place far away from the unknown shelter.

According to Norwegian law the couple should have been rejected by the border control not permitted to enter Norway accompanied by the dog. In this case something went terribly wrong and most likely the dog will be put to death even if the couple is willing to leave their home and quit their Norwegian employment by returning to Sweden with the pet.

I therefore strongly advice my fellow csv owners not to cross the Norwegian border accompanied by a csv, not even for hollidays. It may be killed just by beeing a dog.

Last edited by Per Olav; 15-03-2009 at 19:50.
Per Olav jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 13:30   #2
Juniorwolf

That`s very sad
Last year I was on my way to a dogshow in Norway, as I did not have any problems to enter the show with my CSW, I did not think there would be any problems ....fortunatly I wrote you(Per Olav) an email about regulations for entering Norway with my CSW and you warned me not to go, because of the ban ...THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Greetings Rolf
Juniorwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 14:29   #3
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

But this is TERRIBLE Who has a right to take MY dog away and kill him, if neither me, nor my dog didn't do anything wrong It is unhuman

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 14:42   #4
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Hello Per Olav,
what we can tell..................
stupid, stupid goverment.
Your work on "good name of breed" your work on your web is for nothing now. I have really bad feeling from it.
Greetings for you and your family and kiss for "my puppy"
Hanka
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 15:10   #5
Per Olav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
Hello Per Olav,
what we can tell..................
stupid, stupid goverment.
Your work on "good name of breed" your work on your web is for nothing now. I have really bad feeling from it.
Greetings for you and your family and kiss for "my puppy"
Hanka
Yes it is a stupid law but at least the media show the readers the sillyness of a law which put to death animals who have never done anything wrong except by beeing dogs. The silent work of having the law rejected is carried on. The last issue of the Norwegian Kennel Club Magazine published an article on "Dangerous Dogs" interviewing some well know dog trainers and behavioural experts who all condemned the law based on lobbyism from people of special interrests. The Society of Behavioural Experts of Pets will carry out a study on aggression among dogs etc. So on the contrary I believe that my site will become even more important by bringing facts relateted to our breed. The site will be renewed and I'm going to beg you all for more pics and maybe articles on our breed - especially related to work and training.

I'm creating a brand new gallery with Mikael as first contributor (thanks Mikael) and my first attempt on a blog is quoted by some newspapers - and of course I'm on Facebook

Your baby is kissed, greetings to you and your family and all the members of our forum.

Last edited by Per Olav; 15-03-2009 at 15:37.
Old 15-03-2009, 15:35   #6
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Olav View Post
I've started with a brand new gallery with Mikael as first contributor (thanks Mikael) and my first attempt on a blog is quoted by some newspapers.
Thanks Olav it was the least I could do

Tell me if we/I can do more to help you ???
I will send you more photos ASAP !!!

I was about 1km from Norwegian border last summer in the artic but I did not dear to enter, even if it was only me and the alps that ever would know, I felt the risk was to high...Maby if I did meet some one that would know the breed, and tell, I was afraid to destroy all your hard work...

Way cant they just not send the dog back to Sweden ???
Way kill a inecent animal ??? It sounds like it is against the law of animals right ???

If a nother dog breed in Norway bite someone, by any reasen like a GSD will the dog always get killed ? if not way kill a totaly inecent dog ???

I hope your dog and the Saarloos are safe
As aperantly this dog was first aloved to enter, and now might be killed
It sounds dagerus to be a CsV or Saarloos in Norway !?!

Very best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 15-03-2009 at 15:44. Reason: Text errors + extra text...
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 17:20   #7
Per Olav

The issue is, Mikael that the owners were not aware of the Norwegian legistation and did'nt know the breed was banned. When they crossed the border their legal Swedish dog suddenly became illegal. That why the dog most likely will be put to death.

The keeping of csvs which were inside the country prior to 2004 is no problem given their origin are verified by pedigree and import documents. The Saarloos is still legal but their situation may change.
Old 15-03-2009, 17:42   #8
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
The issue is, Mikael that the owners were not aware of the Norwegian legistation and did'nt know the breed was banned. When they crossed the border their legal Swedish dog suddenly became illegal. That why the dog most likely will be put to death.

The keeping of csvs which were inside the country prior to 2004 is no problem given their origin are verified by pedigree and import documents. The Saarloos is still legal but their situation may change.
Hmmmm, But did they not have a approved importation by Norwegian gow ??? To move the dog to Norway ???

Importatiation papers, passport and vaccenation or did this family do anything wrong whit the importation ???

And if ? way can it not be returned to Sweden where he/her is leagel ???

Best regards / M

Last edited by Mikael; 15-03-2009 at 17:45.
Old 15-03-2009, 18:02   #9
Per Olav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Hmmmm, But did they not have a approved importation by Norwegian gow ??? To move the dog to Norway ???
There's no need for import documents between Sweden and Norway for dogs posessed by inhabitants of each of these two neighboring countries. Even if applied for, an exception for this dog would not have been granted.
Quote:
Importatiation papers, passport and vaccenation or did this family do anything wrong whit the importation ???
The family didn't do anything wrong except for bringing the dog across the border.
Quote:
And if ? way can it not be returned to Sweden where he/her is leagel ???
Because the dog already was inside this stupid country. Now it's up to our Department of Police to decide. And the Department was the first one to suggest a ban on the breed prior to the law.

Btw. The csv was banned in Norway mainly because American wolfmutts had killed people over there.

Last edited by Per Olav; 15-03-2009 at 18:17.
Old 15-03-2009, 20:07   #10
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
There's no need for import documents between Sweden and Norway for dogs posessed by inhabitants of each of these two neighboring countries.
Aaaa, sorry I did think one need a importation like bitween Sweden and Finland, Denmark...

Quote:
Even if applied for, an exception for this dog would not have been granted.
Yes that would be better and what I did hope fore, and maby there are to be a importation/request as the law is so very different fore some breeds...

Quote:
The family didn't do anything wrong except for bringing the dog across the border. Because the dog already was inside this stupid country. Now it's up to our Department of Police to decide. And the Department was the first one to suggest a ban on the breed prior to the law.
It do not look good But do you think they will do one exception and send the dog back, becouse of the media or do you think they will kill the dog to make an example and show there power ???

Quote:
Btw. The csv was banned in Norway mainly because American wolfmutts had killed people over there.
You mean so colled unpure F1 hybrids whit 50% to 98% wolfblood
And I just wont to ask, was not those Wolfdogs less dengarus the GSD and Rottweiler in this report ??? Do not the police in Norway use those breeds and think they are safe

Best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 15-03-2009 at 20:13.
Old 15-03-2009, 20:34   #11
Per Olav

I'm by nature optimistic but when it comes to bsl (breed spesific legislation) I'm not, therefore I won't predict a happy ending of this case.

Regarding American wolf dogs/ wolfmutts/ wolf hybrids they may range from high content bastards to dogs with a wolfy look alike. Our 2004 dog law forbid importing dog/wolf mixes regardless of content, which made problems to our racing dog comunity who are importing different types of racing dogs mixes from Canada and the US.

I guess it's commonly accepted that wolf mutts may be more unpredictable than pure bred dogs.

Last edited by Per Olav; 15-03-2009 at 20:40.
Old 15-03-2009, 22:51   #12
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Per,
I can only offer this: look at my web. If you will want some article (but unfortunatelly in english there is not much info) and if you will want some pictures from my website , write me, I send you what you will want.

Hanka
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 23:03   #13
Per Olav

As always you are a true darling
I'll do some extra efforts bringing the site updated and then my dear I'll return back to you

PO
Old 16-03-2009, 01:45   #14
Juniorwolf

Per Olav if you want to use any of my videos, just write which one(s) and I will send it/them for you or you can link to the video(s)
...but I think I have offered you this once before ?

http://www.youtube.com/juniorwolfuno

Greetings Rolf
Juniorwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 03:05   #15
Per Olav

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolf View Post
Per Olav if you want to use any of my videos, just write which one(s) and I will send it/them for you or you can link to the video(s)
...but I think I have offered you this once before ?

http://www.youtube.com/juniorwolfuno

Greetings Rolf
Sure you did and thanks
I'll first convert what's possible from the old to the new picture gallery and then add the new stuff.

I'll be back with my list of wishes - othervise I have a nice program converting YT videos to flash

Cheers
Old 16-03-2009, 20:47   #16
tikaani

Quote:

that is so wrong, that the govement makes the mistake of not informing them and now they will lose ther pet. at least you would think that they would give them the chance to find a new home for it or for them to move away...i feel so sorry for them..
tikaani jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 22:02   #17
solowolf

Quote:
The Norwegian Government did by 2004 issue a ban on the Czeschoslovakian Wolfdog and the American Staffordshire Terrier which are not allowed to import, keep or breed as the dogs are considered dangerous. In the last weeks Norwegian Media a new debate on the ban has arissen. The owners of the Amstaff Majlo - a young Swedish couple - left Sweden for new jobs in Norway. The couple claiming unaware of the Norwegian ban crossed the border accompanied by their pet. Some time later the police broke into their apartment and removed the dog. Fearing the owners would kidnap it the police brought the animal to secret rescue and the owners have to pay approx 400 euro for seeing their dog on a meeting place far away from the unknown shelter.

According to Norwegian law the couple should have been rejected by the border control not permitted to enter Norway accompanied by the dog. In this case something went terribly wrong and most likely the dog will be put to death even if the couple is willing to leave their home and quit their Norwegian employment by returning to Sweden with the pet.

I therefore strongly advice my fellow csv owners not to cross the Norwegian border accompanied by a csv, not even for hollidays. It may be killed just by beeing a dog.
the couple need good solisitor to get reprieve for this dog, it is obvious a genuine mistake on the owners behalf that they where not aware of the law, but it was serious mistake by the border patrol to have let the dog enter Norway, the solisitor should explane what has happened putting the blame soley onto the border patrol, they should ask that the dog be taken back to the border and handed over to the owners so they can rehome it, it must be made very clear that the border patrol failed to do there job correctly, if they had of the owners could have returned the dog to Sweden and this mess would never of happened. it is sad the complete encompedence of the border patrol could cost this dog its life. have you the address of the people to legally contact on this matter? regards pacino
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 22:14   #18
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Are there any border patrols on the border of Sweeden and Norway?

Old 16-03-2009, 22:35   #19
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
Are there any border patrols on the border of Sweeden and Norway?
I think there might be somewere between the borders down south...

But where I have pass there was nothing, I do not know where they did pass ??? But I think it is like crossing any border they control only 3-4% of the cars that pass or even less

As if you go to Sweden from Finland whit Silja Line you can pass fri on a sunday as they do not work at the border control at that harbour on sunday

Regards / Mikael
Old 16-03-2009, 22:41   #20
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
I think there might be somewere between the borders down south...
Geology students from Vilnius university go for practise on summers to Norway and they usualy pass the border from Finland to Norway And there is no border patrols My dog might have been crossing this border two years ago Scary.