Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Dog shows

Dog shows Our show successes, how to prepare a CzW, how to show him...

Old 14-08-2015, 17:57   #1
Djhansen

Default Dog show training

Hi,

We went to a dog show a week ago, it was our second dog show... When the judge tried to touch my dog on the back of his head, he turned and snapped into the air.. I was showing teeth on my dog, so I have no idea why he wanted to put his hand behind the head of my dog, but anyway he disqualified us.

Many people saw it and said that the judge was bad and it was his fault... However I want to make sure this doesn't happen again! I want my dog to allow anyone to touch him, as long as I'm there..

He's generally really good and not shy, but a bit reserved (he always seeks out people, but only wants to be petted by a few of them). We go to dog show training and there has never been any problems there...

I was nervous and excited when going into the ring (can't help it!), which I think is why he reacted as he did, since he don't when training for dog shows..

Does anyone have any ideas?
Has anyone had good luck teaching their dogs this?
Only positive training methods!!

I really want to teach him this, not only for dog shows but in general. He just turned two years, and is truly fantastic...

Thanks in advance! :-)
Djhansen jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 19:53   #2
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

I disagree that it's the judge's fault.. a dog brought into the show ring should allow examination. Any dog of any breed. Judges should not have to risk being bitten.

I personally don't like the rings where the judges are cautious around CzW and don't even hardly touch them, probably due to their own bad experiences in the past or prejudices about the breed.

Anyway, I think you have the right idea - more exposure, more socialization and more training set-ups where there is stranger person who is going to do an exam.

If you are allowed to bait (use food) in the ring, it might help. It might also help to have strangers pet him more often. If he's avoiding contact, you might tempt him with a little food given to the strangers in general exercises.

Good luck!

Tags
judge, nervous, show, snap, training