Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 09-06-2011, 23:25   #1
draggar

Question Pollux the.. guard dog???

I came home today and it was later than usual so it was darker in the entry way plus the AC was on so the wind was blowing towards the door (well more like from the ceiling vent out towards the door and out towards the living room area).

This means, from a dog with a sensitive nose's point of view, I'm downwind with no scent.

I walk in and give the old "it's been a very long day" half sigh / half grunt and much to my surprise Pollux comes running to the door, barking as if he was protecting the house! He even got to the point that he got Kiri going (but she quickly cooled down when she saw it was me). It took Pollux a few more seconds (until he could smell me and realize who I am) to realize I was me and then started acting all like a puppy fool (like he normally does). (I guess the breed trusts their nose far more than their eyes then other breeds?)

This was definitely a first, in the past he's barked (well, more like woofed) at strangers running towards him (or towards his general direction but never went towards them, usually either stood still or backed off a little - this time he trotted towards me as if he was saying "this is MY house!"

It's great to see him really coming out of his shell and the *real* Pollux start to emerge!!

(Disclaimer / note: Yes, I know, protectiveness is something that needs to be watched and focused properly, don't worry, we will do that).

Last edited by draggar; 09-06-2011 at 23:27.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 19:32   #2
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

my boy 'guards' my home...just as well with a house full of siberian huskys
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 21:13   #3
Czertice
Rakša

I noticed that when searching for a ball I have thrown, Raksha relies almost only on her nose to guide her to it. Sometimes it was funny, the ball clearly visible to me, but Raksha sniffing around it in circles as if she didn't have two eyes;]
Old 14-06-2011, 14:33   #4
draggar

He has a lot of interesting quirks.

This morning I had him loose while I was getting ready for work. He walked by Zorro's crate (with Zorro in it) and of course Zorro barked at him (how dare another dog go near his crate). Pollux stopped and gave him a look.

Then, Pollux pulled part of the blanket that was on top of Zorro's crate so that it blocked the front of the crate.

Sometimes he's too smart.
Old 22-06-2011, 15:00   #5
draggar

He is close to be one of the most intelligent dogs who have come into our home. We got one of those flip top crash cans (where you step on a lever on the bottom and it opens). He's actually learned that if he steps on that lever the top opens up to reveal all this garbagy goodness treasure inside!

He and Luna are both smart enough to get into a lot of trouble and nether care about getting in trouble.

At least Zorro and Kire care if they get in trouble.
Old 22-06-2011, 23:44   #6
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
He has a lot of interesting quirks.

Then, Pollux pulled part of the blanket that was on top of Zorro's crate so that it blocked the front of the crate.

Sometimes he's too smart.
He wanted to show Zorro that he was a Cs Vlcak

Best regards / M
Old 07-07-2011, 01:47   #7
Gypsy Wolf

Default Another Phone Bites the Dust

So this is how much we love Pollux... he has now destroyed TWO celphones and still gets loved and spoiled.
Of course, as a dog trainer, the destruction of the celphones was totally MY fault - bad human! - for leaving it within reach.
And I SWEAR vlcaks have stronger bite force than my other dogs...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:41   #8
Tassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
So this is how much we love Pollux... he has now destroyed TWO celphones and still gets loved and spoiled.
Of course, as a dog trainer, the destruction of the celphones was totally MY fault - bad human! - for leaving it within reach.
And I SWEAR vlcaks have stronger bite force than my other dogs...
They may well have - but basing that one the destruction of Cell phones? I am afraid I know plenty of dogs who have done the same....and TV remotes.....and car keys.....and doors....and cages (My Lurcher - before he was Mine), ripped a metal crate to pieces....

I and I am sorry - but I cannot believe you would think destroying a cell phone would be any reason to withdrawn your affection to this dog!! What a statement
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 19:16   #9
Gypsy Wolf

I WAS TEASING. Obviously the destruction of my cell phone was MY FAULT, not his. In my personal opinion, when dogs make bad choices, it is always our fault, as the human - not theirs. (Unless there is some sort of pathological mental imbalance like Rage Syndrome)
I actually think it was kind of funny as it was no more than a few seconds and maybe two "crunches" of his jaws... and the look of innocence was hilarious!
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 23:32   #10
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
I actually think it was kind of funny as it was no more than a few seconds and maybe two "crunches" of his jaws... and the look of innocence was hilarious!
"What? You left it in reach, that MUST mean it was meant for me..."