Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 24-09-2008, 17:02   #1
tikaani

Default Fleas

I have noticed that although my cwd has been out with uther dogson walk, in parks etc, that it has never had fleas, i also work with wolves and they havent ether. has any one known a cwd to have them? or maybe there fur/ hair dusnt allow them.
tikaani jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 17:22   #2
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

In past was my female for mateing to some male and she had this present from him )). All my dogs had it. I musted wash all my wolfdogs in my kennel. But it is longer time already.
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 17:25   #3
tikaani

guess iv just been lucky so far then, thanks for the reply. hope your dogs are all better now
tikaani jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 17:27   #4
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Yeeees, it was I think 10 years before
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 01:39   #5
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Every summer we start a real fight against parasites like fleas, tick's, worms and skeeters.
Wolfdogs can have it and will if they live in a pretty contaminated place, the contaminated local not need to be necessarely your home but the home of your neighbor and even the street.
When my wolfdogs arrives they're all with winter coat, so was impossible to see fleas in their, what not mean they haven't, i'm pretty sure that they take fleas in the first time they touch my country, the place we arrive was a possible leishmaniosis area so, we run away to home without stop .

Some years ago fleas and ticks commonly not appeared in winter, but times change and even at winter we're having huge problems with then, the summer turn in a hell for parasite control.

When they lost the winter coat and turn in an almost Hairless Et dog if they have fleas is possible to see it easly, even when they're under control but a "new flea" jump of the street in theyr, as I have already see.
Old 25-09-2008, 10:15   #6
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Well, but it is always the easiest way just to use prevention - like some drops (Advantex, Frontline, etc.) Than to try to see a flee in a thick coat

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 12:02   #7
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
Well, but it is always the easiest way just to use prevention - like some drops (Advantex, Frontline, etc.) Than to try to see a flee in a thick coat
I think we have "superfleas" where I live (southern US - very warm and swampy in the summers). We use Frontline year round and still have to very carefully watch for them! I have seen them sometimes only one week after Frontline during the summers!
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 13:59   #8
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

We never had fleas, except our cats, which are always with fleas but they don't get on dog (and fortunately not on us, but that's because the cats are not ours but their own and don't like to be taken on hands ;o) ). But I have problems with ticks, we live in places full of them and Frei has tick even though she has anti-tick collar 24/7... But she is vaccinated against borreliosis.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 14:02   #9
Draco

Since 2 years we use from spring to fall a collar called Scalibor for our 3 dogs. This Scalibor-collar is effective against fleas, ticks and sandlflies (leishamniosis). For us it is a real alternative solution regarding to Advantix, Frontline etc. We buy the collars from our Vet-Doc and the costs are much lower then for the mentioned drugs.
Draco jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 14:05   #10
Draco

... oh I forgot to mention: The collars working up to 6 - 8 months.

Best regards

Angela
Draco jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 15:36   #11
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Once again, it is the time of year where all of the biting insects make their appearance...

When I went in to purchase Frontline, my vet gave me a new medication for flea treatment - Comfortis. He said it is not as effective on ticks as Frontline, but could be used along with a collar. There is a big change from Frontline - this medication is given orally (by mouth), so there are no worries about the medication being washed, rubbed, or licked off. In the summer, my dogs are often at the beach, or in a creek or pond (or stuck in a rain shower as we have on many afternoons in Virginia), so this would be very helpful.

There seem to be more adverse reactions listed with the medication than Frontline. I have not tried the medication with my dogs (I'm trying to learn more first), so I have no experience with it yet.

Has anyone heard of or tried this medication?

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

All of the very best,
Marcy
Old 03-05-2009, 18:53   #12
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Nice Up!
I dont have experience with this medication, but I know Capstar that is also oral, by capstar is pretty efective, but the main problem is that it only kills after the parasict bite the animal, in a place where have babesiosis and others tick's illness its a huge problem because will not avoid the contamination.
Then in 2007 summer appear the advantage max 3, who dont let ticks touch the animal as protect also agains skiters and fleas, very nice but expensive.

I also like to use natural products for avoid insects , the citronel oil ( oil from Cymbopogon winterianus) and Neem oil ( Azadirachta indica) I pass in the place the dogs live () and also in the dogs ( sometimes in the owners as well) is pretty effective as repellent.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:29   #13
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulosa View Post
Nice Up!
I dont have experience with this medication, but I know Capstar...
Thanks for the advice! For the next couple of months anyways, I'll be using up the rest of my Frontline...which gives me a little while to research. I used Advantage at some point - but as I recall, it was very toxic to cats (I think that was the same medication). It always terrified me that one of my cats would consume some of the medication.

I love the smell of citronella oil burning in the summer...it makes me think of late, happy nights with friends!

Marcy
Old 08-05-2009, 16:50   #14
Natalya

Send a message via Skype™ to Natalya

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
But she is vaccinated against borreliosis.
Could you please write the name of that vaccine? Is it a French one? Does it have any negative affect?

Every time my dog "catches" a tick, I'm nervous because of borelliosis. I've heard about some French vaccine some years ago but it wasn't tested that time. Could you please share your experience?
Natalya jest offline   Reply With Quote