Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 26-09-2008, 20:33   #21
Angelika

It took a bit longer, but finally I´ve got it. Thanks to all of you for your explanations
Angelika jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 20:35   #22
elf

Quote:
To give some figures, last figures i got after the test was available:
36 SWD tested, 28 free, 7 carriers and 1 dwarf
Close relatives were tested in this panel, which would maybe explain a part of this very dark stat.

Quote:
Dysplasia is pretty difficult to make control using genetic tests because none know really all gens wich cause the problem, it's still in studie and be poligenic turn things more difficult
A major gene seems to be involved, when QTL will be refined we would hopefully see better.
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 10:12   #23
michaelundinaeichhorn

Anyway it does not matter where it comes from, what they need to invent a test for CSW is blood of a dwarf to find out if it is the same gene as in GSH and SWH and if the same test can be used or if they need to invent a second one. When there is a test you can find out where it occures in the lines.

It may come from crossing with Saarloos because of the different GSHs used in this breed but this doesn´t matter at all in the moment and only matters to find gene-carriers in the future. Not all GSH are automatically carriers.
Maybe it would be another possibility to get samples to test died puppies.

The HD-Test showed that there are a lot of carriers even in breeds that don´t have any HD-problems in their population, like Mallinois and Sight-dogs. This makes me a little bit sceptical how to use it at this point. New Tests on complex deseases like HD (that is not compareable with dwarfism in this point) allways include the danger of mistakes in the beginning and should be carefully used on populations with small gene-pools because they may wrongly decrease the pool. It seems to me that there has to be more research done how to do the management in breeding with this test.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 12:42   #24
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Hi all,

I agree that it would be very good to have a genetic test. As a former and future breeder, I would like to know if my bitch is a carrier, and know the genetic background of her partner, to make sure that I don't spread things further. And, as it is a recessive malady, carrying the gene does not necessarily remove the dog from breeding - it only suggests to test the puppies and prefer selling positive ones to people who are not interested in breeding! If a positive dog is paired with negative, only 1/4 of it's puppies will probably carry the gene and even pairing two carriers should give around 1/4 of negative pups! I think it is much better to know that there is this problem than not knowing why your bitch lost part of the litter... If we know, we can solve it...
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote