Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breed standard & bonitations

Breed standard & bonitations How typical CzW should look like, measurements and commentaries to the breed standard, information about bonitations and youth presentations....

Old 01-03-2011, 17:19   #1
draggar

Default Country of origin standard question

Being a Czechoslovakian breed we have a bit of a unique situation - two countries of origin. (I think the GSD has this problem for a while but it gor resolved back in the 1990s plus politics made it easier for clubs to pick which country to side with).

In studying the history of the breed (especially early on) I noticed that the Czech lines concentrated on the border patrol aspect of the breed (since they were closer to the iron curtain) and the Slovak side didn't need to produce those results as quickly so they concentrated on fine tuning the breed itself. It looks to me (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) early on:

Czech - faster and more extreme results but also more erratic with results.

Slovak - slower results but more consistent

* If this is wrong / inaccurate, please let me know. I'm sure both sides have more consistent breeding programs now.

My question is, and I know this is 100% opinion, but which standard is considered more correct (or are the Czech and Slovak standards the same?). Which standard to most clubs tend to side with?

Edit: I was just informed that Slovakia has "guardianship" of the standard which may answer my own question (but I'm still curious).

Last edited by draggar; 01-03-2011 at 18:03.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 18:05   #2
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Hm, the history is a bit more complicated, some lines were destroyed and so on, I cannot tell you much as I am chronically bad in history of anything. I think, but I may be wrong, that the lines were kept in army and only some were in civilian hands and those were used to create the breed eventually as the animals in the army were destroyed when deciding the experiment as unsuccesful (the first aim of the experiment was to enhance the qualities of German Shepherds, not making new breed).

The standard is one and it is valid everywhere. It is registered by FCI. There are regional tendencies towards considering different aspects of the standard having different value of impact, but the standard is the same everywhere.

Both Slovakia and Czech republic are considered countries of origin, with Slovakia being the guarant of the breed by FCI. Both in Slovakia and in Czech republic the wolfdog is considered the national breed.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 18:29   #3
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
I was just informed that Slovakia has "guardianship" of the standard .
That's excactly why it's undiplomatic and insensitive to call CSVs "Czechs"

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 19:24   #4
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
That's excactly why it's undiplomatic and insensitive to call CSVs "Czechs"
Undiplomatic and very insensitive. The same, speaking of Mr. Hartl and not mentioning Mr. Rosik at all...
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote