Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 11-05-2009, 16:41   #1
Vicky

Default CsV and Protection

I was wondering if the CsV owners here would care to go into a little detail about their natural protective nature. As CsVs aren't at all common in the US, I don't know when I'm going to have the chance to meet one, and I'd like to get as much info on their temperaments as possible.

I hear a lot about saying their wolfdogs are protective, and that it's a natural ability, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that. Lets say you were threatened somehow. What would your dog do? Would it get between you and the attacker? Would it growl? Would it naturally go to biting, without giving any warning? I'm just wondering what one would expect when that instinct came to surface. Also, does the dog listen well when it's told the situation is ok? Or will it decide for itself that you're still in danger, and attack regardless?

Are there any other dogs you can compair their temperaments to? From what I've heard, a lot of their charictaristics remind me (all for different reasons) of German Shepherds, Akitas, and Huskies. Any thoughts on this?

How do you feel about wolfdogs and Schutzhund training? If a dog has natural protection ability, but an independant nature, is it better to go through actual protection/bite training with the dog, to teach it when biting is appropriate (i.e. on command) or would that encourage the behavior to the point where the dog would then decide on its own when to bite (which may or may not be in the correct time)?

For the record, I would never get a CsV without meeting them first in person, but I figured that before I go through all the trouble, it's best to do a lot of research and learn as much about their temperaments as I can.