View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 01:12   #3
Conor

Thanks for the advice Margo. I may just know someone who can translate the information for me. What there is in English on this site is helpful, but I want to present any prospective owners in the UK with more in depth information, so that they can get a better picture as to whether or not pursuing the idea of owning a CzW, or other wolfdog is right for them. So, the information I want relates to raising and caring for a wolfdog from a puppy through to adulthood... the good, the bad, and the indifferent. I don't want to present people with the idea that wolfdogs are all sweetness and light. If that occurs here in the UK, I suspect that lots of people will obtain a puppy only to realize that this is a breed that requires dedication and lots of work only when it is too late. The result will be lots of unwanted, badly adjusted dogs - a danger to the reputation of CzW, and Sarloos, possibly a danger to the public, and the kind of story the UK press would love to get a hold of. We would all suffer, and I can see the CzW ending up a banned breed. Paranoia, maybe? But I'd rather try and get started with too much information and concern, than find that we have to try and patch things up IF it starts to go wrong as a result of lack of preparation.

I appreciate your reply, and it's reassuring to know that someone has some interest in seeing the breed established sensibly in the UK. I have never done anything like this before, and to be honest my only concern is for the dogs; to make sure that they go to people who understand what pleasures and pains owning a wolfdog can bring, and who can accept the demands placed on them responsibly. I have no interest in the politics that takes place between breeders from different countries, and I fail to see how anyone with any sense at all could do anything that would be to the detriment of even a single dog. It's a real pity that people haven't got the brains to show a bit of unity on something that is ultimately so simple and that would reflect positively on every breeder/owner, and which would benefit everyone.

Conor
Conor jest offline   Reply With Quote