Thread: Breed Character
View Single Post
Old 31-01-2009, 00:45   #29
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahAnn View Post
When I got my cat from a rescue she was advertised as a domestic short hair calico - but she's now twelve pounds, has long thick fur, and has all of the traits common to a Maine Coon! She has an very different personality from when I first brought her home. I am just worried about how a CWD's personality would change. A dog that is outgoing becomes shy and it's something I worry about. My cat is now more outgoing but she's not a bold cat. I do appreciate the knowledgeable answers I'm getting though!
Well, in the shelter they have the animal for a short time and without papers, thats what pedigrees are for, that you have a high probability that the dog will actually look and behave as the breed you are buiyng. Of course a lot depends on you - but nowadays if you get a CSW pup from a good breeder you have good probability of getting good character, it will need very thorough socialization, but then you will get good results. If you buy from responsible breeder pup from good parents and well pre-socialized, than you are not buying "a cat in a box". And of course good breeder will explain to you how to properly socialize your pup and will be willing to help you either personally or through phone/mail/instant messaging to answer your questions and help to solve problems.

But of course seeing the breed with your own eyes is very good if you ever have the possibility, grab it. Once seen (and tried) is many times heard.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote