View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:33   #1
Rona
Distinguished Member

Default Vlcaks’ talents and their practical application

I think it might be interesting to share stories about more or less surprising abilities of our dogs

I've discovered my vlcak can easily distinguish our neighbour from her identical twin sister that comes to visit her almost every day. The ladies are over 70, dress identically, use the same perfumes, but Lorka’s nose recognizes them without any problem (she’s better than DNA testing! ) The fact itself is not surprising, but her reaction is: when greeting our neighbour she gives her a delicate lick on the hand, and when greeting the sister only wags her tail. The neighbour complimented us recently that we were the only people from outside their immediate family that managed to address them correctly. If only she knew the source of our smartness!

Another example which I described on the Polish forum some time ago: my husband brought home two pieces of Lybian glass, about 1lb each and put them on the table. Lybian glass is a rock of very mysterious and controversial origin that can be found only in limited area of Sahara. It's said to have some esoteric qualities, of which I know nothing and have always been very sceptical!
To our surprise our dog delicately took one piece of the rock from the table, put in on the floor in front of her and looked at it intensely, then cautiously tested it with her tongue and teeth… finally put a paw on it and stayed like that for a while with a very “silly” face expression. Later, repeated the same procedure with the other stone. I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t seen it. We have a lot of rocks at home, but never have I seen such behaviour earlier of Lorka or Tina, nor other dogs. I can’t really interpret this…

Have any of your wolfdogs’ abilities or behaviour ever surprised you in one way or another?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote