View Single Post
Old 02-08-2002, 07:57   #23
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf
Default wolfdogs

Training of CSV

For myself i can say, i am using "the old method" (which probably means that i don't use modern "clicker" training and such stuff).
But it doesn't mean i beat my dog for every bad thing.
I am giving rewards (mostly meat, sometimes just voice cheering) for all my dog does well, and i "punish" the bad manner (usually with voice, in the worst case small punch). I truly do not think, that if my wolfdogs is going to kill neighbours poodle (who deserves it for provocating the wolfdog in every possible case), that just ignoring the bad would help. In cases like this must come a strict command and immediate punch, if it doesn't help.
I really doubt, that i'd teach my dog some commands before end of its life, if don't make him to do them. It's very nice to be patient and be cool and kind with the dog, but on the other side, if i want the dog to jump over a bench, then it will do it. Not that i will wait half a year, before the dog suddenly decides about doing it.
I explain the dog what i want him to do, i help him to do it (shaping the body, showing reward etc.), but as long as the dog learns the command, i insist on the command being done every time i give it.
But this is probably individual. I consider my wolfdog for a working dog, and i train it like that. We just passed our first tests, so seems to me i am training my dog well.

Mirka
Mirkawolf jest offline   Reply With Quote