Thread: Penn Hip method
View Single Post
Old 20-05-2011, 03:26   #22
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
Congrats on Bongo's results! 11 shouldn't be too hard! Just have owners of "A" and upcoming "B" litter use PennHip and you'll almost be there!

ETA: I had a passing thought about the 20 results needed for baseline - does it matter if most of the subjects are related? Would unrelated subjects provided more 'accurate' results? Or does it not matter at all?
I think it's kind of interesting to get a blend of both. The baseline continuously grows with the number of dogs tested. Currently, the dogs are measured against the median for all breeds - 0.48. Two of my dogs are in the 80th percentile, Bongo was in the 90th. That said, Roni came up with C/mild HD hips when tested about 10 months later, on a .39 hip. Makes me wonder if the breed gets HD at a lower distraction than other breeds - like the GSD.

Ed, sure she does - Fred Lanting was one of PennHips biggest proponents. Best to do everthing in one shot after she is 2. One of the PennHip views is the same as the OFA. Just have to go to a certified vet.