View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 16:28   #10
RaeLee

I it is quite normal, that every breeder has his own ideas about breeding, breeding ethics, purposes for breeding and also very special ideas about the future puppy owners. And of course, about the future of the pups.

There is nothing wrong to sell a pup to a person, who is not interested in breeding, bonitations or dog shows. But of course, then there is no reason (from my point of view) to sell this person the best pup of the litter, that might be of better use at owner, who intents to breed, show and bonitate.

[/quote]

Letty,

I must say that I agree and understand the point. My opinion is the same. I think it is VERY important for the breeder to know the true intentions of the buyer and the buyer to be honest in what those intentions are so that everyone can be happy. If I were breeding I would want the best since the whole point of breeding is to better the breed. However, like previously mentioned, what is "better" to one person may not be the ideal to another. For example, I may think a short stop is "better" than the longer stop and all it comes down to is personal interpretation of the standard.
I do not have any intentions of breeding so outward conformation may not top my list of importantance. That does not mean that I would't want to show in Conformation, Obedience, Lure, etc.. That doesn't mean I should accept the last pick of the litter because nobody else wants it. I should be sold the last pick of the litter if it happens that the last pick (or first pick, or middle pick, etc.) if the breeder thinks that particular puppy is the BEST SUITED for me...that's where trust on MY part comes in. That's where MY honesty and the breeder's honesty have to prevail.
I also think that any breeder that believes they should just send whatever overseas (or anywhere else) is setting up a potential disaster and in my opinion would make that breeder untrustworthy and furthermore undeserving of the breed. It is that type of breeder I dread the most.

I think ANY dog sold is and will ALWAYS be a representation of the kennel from which it came regardless of the informed/uninformed use of the pet/dog. I also feel that the person/dog team will ALWAYS be a reflection of the relationship between breeder and buyer. If the buyer isn't honest about the intentions then how can the buyer expect to be happy? If the breeder isn't honest then how can they ensure a long loving life for the puppy? That, I think, is the whole problem. It is so hard to find a good "match" of breeder and buyer because there are soooo many untrustworthy people on both sides. I can sit here all day and tell you my dog will be a pet, in my house, with my children, go with me here and there but how does the breeder KNOW this??? How do I KNOW the breeder is a good one??? Time.

Anyway, that's my opinion on this too. I understand what you are saying Letty and it sounds responsible to me. Perhaps I'm misinformed with my opinion but until I learn different that's what it is.

RaeLee
RaeLee jest offline   Reply With Quote