View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30   #22
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
do we really want to see the CsV turn into the misery that is the American GSD? I shudder at the thought of a pretty dog with no brains.
Lots of people will disagree, for sure.. maybe even you.. but I feel that some American bred GSDs - those born for the express purpose of pet-ownership - is a FINE institution with some breeders in it for 20-30 years and producing dogs with many, many repeat owners. It is not right to paint them all with the same brush. No, those dogs are not in it for the work, and certainly do not conform to 'standards' (perhaps for the better..), and probably cannot do any of the traditional bite work, but they are nonetheless good family dogs.. it does no favors to the average home looking for a pet dog to buy a working line Czech bred working dog. I personally think that a select few American kennels NOT breeding to work qualities cannot be criticized any more than the next breeder.

Very, very exceedingly few but I can think of a few kennels that agree with me.

Quite a few people would argue that the SchH titled West Germany dogs are 'disasters' too.

I respect your opinions, Luna's mom, I'm just offering another POV.. I do think it is of utmost importance to keep a working dog with working capabilities.. so much so that my next dog, a Vlcak, I *want* to do work with even if that is not what I had in mind. I just don't think it's right, though, to paint all GSDs and implicitly all American GSD breeders, with the same brush. Many, MANY Am and W. German breeders breed for incredibly sporty GSDs - the type that pass SchH but not the type where you see them and say, "yes, that's great, healthy angulation and great working temperament".

I am a FIRM believer that a breed that is attractive AND also bred to work, will always split into work-show lines. I DO believe it is with the combined efforts of the work AND show lines, that any breed - including vlcaks - can achieve greatness.. sadly, many breeds do not choose to work together and instead split into two separate camps - working or show. Dog breeds where only work is valued - let's say, Catahoulas and Alaskan Huskys.. border on recognition of 'breed' because of the huge physical differences that can occur. And dog breeds that are bred mainly on looks - let's say Shelties - are relegated to 'dogs that USED to work'.

I do think that breed clubs that can achieve cooperation really can keep both - kennels that concentrate on conformation working with kennels concentration on work - face it, no dog is PERFECT in both.

Anyway, a big rant, I guess. I hope that the Vlcak go in a direction that is neither extremely one way nor the other. just my humble 2 cents.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote