View Single Post
Old 31-07-2002, 23:25   #16
Silver_Dragon

Default Please help

Hello,

I have been on this list for awhile, but have just watched. I do not have any CzW's nor do I know anyone who does, but I do own an 11 year old Dalmatian, and a one year old Bernese Mountain Dog/English Setter mix. You can see them here if you are interested... http://hometown.aol.com/DragonsCave14/index.html
I admire your breed very much for many reasons, but one thing that is different from these and other breeds are the owners dedication to them. You all seem to take the time to train and stimulate the dogs the way they need to. The dogs don't seem to be placed in the wrong hands, which creates a problem when a breed gets too popular.
I have noticed a problem with the name, which is obviously ridiculous, but I know how people can be. Sure people get the wrong impression when they hear "wolfdog". The difference between them and say the Irish Wolfhound is probably not only the slight difference in the name, but the fact that they don't resemble wolfs much at all. But I see that a "Wolfdog" is exactly what they are, and the name has no right to be changed! "Dachsund" means "Badger hound" but who is afraid of those? Dalmatians are from Dalmatia, Rottweilers from Rottwiel, and then breeds like the American Indian Dog which is obvious where it got its name from (and can sometimes be mistaken for a wolf cross). A name is supposed to reflect the breeds' history in some way or another, and thats just what your dogs do.
And then there names which don't even exist. The bans on "Pit Bulls" for example, there is no such breed, there are American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. The common "pit bull" is just carless crossing of these two in creating a dog fit for fighting and not so much show quality. Then half of them end up in dog shelters, and the nice ones make it out! Then to go even further, somtimes labeling Dogo Argentinos as "Pit Bulls" also, looks can get a breed in trouble even when they have nothing in common.
I think it is just the fact that people see this as a "dangerous" breed, because of what it is. They see a golden retriever as loving because they have seen the good they have done, and the reputation they have. What they need is a little edjucation on the subject. A little positive information can make a difference. I don't know about where ou are, but in the US there are therapy dog tests, and then the dogs can visit hospitals, nursing homes, schools and that sort of thing. If this is an option, I would suggest getting active in that, and maybe go to these places and just teach about them. Your dogs are smart, and you can show the people how great they are, and tell them some of the problems you are having with the breed. If you inspire just a few people, could mean all the difference in the way this turns out. I am only 17, but I know well the problems of dogdom. I also know that MY generation can do alot if they were just taught, and that usually dosn't happen. I think if you just spread the word to the common folk about how great they really are, thats a good start. Because your dogs are just that, dogs. There should be no bans on them, being there has been no wrongdoing, just a truthful name. And truth is something most people fear.
I don't know what good my information will do, but it was worth a shot! I am sorry for the ridiculously long letter!

~Silver Dragon~
Silver_Dragon jest offline   Reply With Quote