View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 17:19   #43
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolf View Post
... in any case [AI] should be last choice, as I think all other options is to prefer, but that is just my humble opinion !

Greetings Rolf
I think this is stated simply, and perfectly. Even living in the US, if I had a bitch I was hoping to breed, obviously my preferred choice would be to actually use a stud dog and not AI. Natural breeding is very important and lack of its use can do more harm than good. Not that I would expect CsVs to ever get to this point, but with English Bulldogs, for example, AI (and also C-section birth) is the norm because the breed has changed so much that 90% of the time, this is the ONLY way the dogs can be bred. We would never want something like that to happen with the CsV!!

However, I think a note should be made that quality is definitely a factor in this. The biggest effort should be in finding an appropriate stud dog that would blend well with the bitch. I don't think quality in this regard should be sacrificed if the owner of the stud couldn't send him over for a "vacation" if there were a less desirable stud who could. I think that the quality of the dogs being produced should be a major, major factor in the decision to breed, and if the case came up where no suitable stud could be used naturally, that's when AI should be considered.

We all have to understand that as in everything that matters, there are going to be grey areas, and decisions really need to be made on a case by case basis, and not broad, sweeping generalizations one way or the other.