View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 13:27   #30
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniakanavle View Post
By 'standard' I mean the original written breed standard from the country of origin. And no, I don't think that should be up to 'interpretation.'
I agree, the main problem is that "second interpretation of standard" often comes because the total "non understanding of what the standard wants", CzW already pass for such problem, its standard is very complet and detailed, but few people and even breeders are able to understand it, so what we can meet are a huge ammount of breeders (and also a huge ammout of juges) able to only judge the head of the dogs having a small idea about the basic of it (like small ears and ambar eyes), but with no idea about how the body should look like, how the dog should move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukidomari
I am a FIRM believer that a breed that is attractive AND also bred to work, will always split into work-show lines.
When people does not know the standard, they start to select what is more "bautifull" at their eyes and what they think its correct, they will use the excuse that its "his line" or "his way of breeding" or even "his show line" as some people will use the excuse to say "my dog dont need be at standard as its working line", if you look the CzW standard, will see that animals that follow close what the standard says are surely better working animals, a CzW with nice body format according the standard will have more endurance than one with round atipical chest and shorth legs for exemple, but some judges will preffer the short legged heavy animal because its looks "nicer" than the correct one.
The workability and the standard walks togeter, you will see people trying to split it in two for dont accept tat what they're doing is wrong, and its common in all breeds, also called "kennel blindness", its up to the club avoid it and conscientize people and new owners about what is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom
Vlcaks descended from GSDs that had to earn titles in order to be bred. I am sure that the original Vlcak breeding program relied on similar tests to make sure they were breeding only the best
You see, a club that wants working titles, show titles and a restrict selection of the individual looks nice in the paper, but it can be a trap for the bree itself, principaly for a breed like CzW.
Supose in USA you find a owner wich hve a nice CzW with a very rare line, old animal without nothing, no X rays, no dogshows much less working titles, the owner have no will to make it, but he accept make the X rays without problems, you will not be able to use this dog as it should be used because the dog have no titles and shows, you can end to lost a nice bloodline because of a nonense title.
I think the club should help giving all conditions and informing people about how good is work with the dogs and how importand it could be, but not use it as rule for a stud dog.
We cant forget also about the fact that working titles and show titles can influencie in the people choise of a stud, so you can get a very titled dog with ok health results, but terrible line in health and even appearence, being over used because its a "titled dog", it can turn in a huge problem for the breed.

I think would be very nice the club make a breeding comission, with the will of select the mattings, avoiding the lost of lines or the overuse of a single stud, not only that, but also avoiding dangerous matings that can cause unhealty pups or even matings with no interest at all for the future of the breed.
About the request, I think important are the healty tests, when mostly breeders ( and even very experienced ones) have a huge problems for understand the standard, judge their dogs and mates, will not be a FCI or AKC judge that will be able to say if the dog is or not in the standard.
Not much different with the working tests, that you can simply traine a dog with terrible character to make a show in the training field or with the helpler.