View Single Post
Old 16-01-2011, 16:03   #78
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

On a side note, I have now had to produce my AKC papers twice for animal control when a crazy neighbor and then a group of angry hunters (my dogs were carrying on while they were in the forest behind my house) reported me for breeding wolf hybrids - and then coyotes. FCI papers, not enough. At least out here in the country, most people - even dog wardens - have no clue what goes on in the rest of the world, and are always wary of someone trying to pull a fast one on them. The AKC logo at least looks recognizeable, and can be matched to microchips. That's usually enough.

If you follow these same standards, you won't register UKC either - they require even less to breed, no DNA requirements. That will pretty much eliminate the possibility of doing any kind of working, companion or performance event in the USA, unless you go through some other organization (such as DVG or USA, in schutzhund), but those organizations also don't necessarily require health testing. It is possible to register FCI through Puerto Rico, but that still doesn't eliminate, or even really touch upon poor breeding here. I'm sure owners from many other FCI breeds can testify to that. I don't know what kind of problems (maybe none) that might arise when you list the stud dog with a US address if you were to breed to a bitch here, and the owner of the bitch wanted to register the litter AKC. I also don't know how the reciprocity agreement will work with FCI when we go full AKC for dogs who are PR/FCI registered. Of course, it's always a personal decision how anyone proceeds.

I do agree that we (USA, all breeds) need to have higher breeding standards...with regards to health as well as breeding standards - such as bonitations, and mental health ratings as they do in the nordic countries. I think this would help solve other problems too - our shelters would be far less crowded due to the costs of producing a screened litter driving the number of cheap/bad/in-it-only-for-the-money breeders down, and it would force people to become aware of health tests. I think AKC's Breeder of Merit program is a step in the right direction; I wish they would make it mandatory. Essentially it comes back to the classic US political debate of government regulation vs. deregulation. Left vs. right.

We are in a unique position right now. We have only had 2 litters in the US; they aren't being mass produced...yet. I have an idea of where the next 4-5 litters will come from. We also have an incredibly small and tight international breed "circle"...it's generally not too hard to find when puppies are imported here, and because there isn't much information on the breed here, most people importing have a tendency to reach out to owners here, if they can find contact info for them. By maintaining a cohesive group of owners, we will hopefully help to drive collective knowledge about our breed, until such time (150-200 registered dogs) that we can push to be the official parent club, and we do have official breed recognition. I think it would be detrimental to push for seperate groups/clubs - i.e AKC club v. non-AKC club - at this point. AKC is the big fish, it will eventually get it's way if it thinks there is money to be made. The ignorant masses, when buying, will look for what AKC says is "good", which comes about through showing and exhibiting AKC...I'd like to help define this rather than turning away and leaving it solely in the hands of future importers/breeders who might not take the time to educate themselves in the way I try to do for myself, and think their very untypical dogs are beautiful, and worthy of breeding.... "Those people" are out there. I hear from them all the time. I'd personally rather not fight it, or one another, but work constructively within our own ranks as a breed. This doesn't necessarily mean liking one another or agreeing with one another all the time. That's any organization. But I do think we should, hope we will, stick together, now, and in the future, as breeders and owners. Once established, clubs have the ability to require health testing as part of their coveted futurities and maturities, hopefully the USA/AKC will evolve and do the right thing eventually.