View Single Post
Old 16-01-2011, 04:02   #75
Gypsy Wolf

I think one of the major reasons that AKC cannot have parent clubs that have such health requirements is that they are a registry and if it is a purebred dog - regardless of whatever faults it may have - it can be registered.
The only reason to deny registration is if the parentage is impure/in question (this coming for a friend who also happens to be a Delegate). Things like disqualifying faults are for the responsible breeder to remove from their breeding program (or exploit - as in the case of the white Dobermann)... not to mention that thre are some things that would be throwing the baby out with the bath water...
For instance, I know a GSD that was an AMAZING SchH dog - 100 points in all 3 phases - perfect as a playful kitten off the field - heck, he even represented the US on the World Team a few years ago... he was Affected for DM and unfortunately became symptomatic at a relatively young age... should he have been removed from the breeding program when he had so many GREAT things to contribute? If that was a "health requirement" he would have been, despite the fact that the disease is relatively easy to eradicate and there is a MUCH greater need for his super temperament and correct drives to bring proper balance to some of the working lines...
It is personal responsability and morals - things you can't legislate - that need to be brought to the forefront, and if the breeder doesn't do the testing you feel is appropriate, don't buy from them. On the flipside, you will see folks who don't do a single health test on their dog but as he is THE NEWF who won Westminster, he gets bred to anything that will hold still. Would I take that chance? I don't know, but I like that I have the choice...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote